[Peace-discuss] Meg Minor's Letter to N-G Ed March 15

Mildred O'brien moboct1 at aim.com
Mon Jun 17 13:17:05 UTC 2019

I clipped Meg Minor's great letter of March 15 and saved it for a good reason, which re-surfaced recently during organizing some of my loose papers.  I saw no follow-up reaction to her letter so it bears repeating below.  Meg is a veteran of one of the Bushs' wars (I think Desert Storm) who was a regular at First Saturday anti-war demonstrations. "Bush is a poor choice for award   The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library Foundation is showcasing more poor decisions.  They are not financial this time.  They announced that former President George W. Bush is their 2019 Lincoln Leadership Prize recipient, praising him for things that truly deserve condemnation. They praise the No Child Left Behind Act, but states balked at federal overreach and Congress declined to reauthorize it in 2007.   They praise his global HIV/AIDS initiative and fail to mention the Global Gag Rule on family planning he reinstated from Ronald Reagan's era. They praise his global coalition building 'to remove violent regimes in Afghanistan and Iraq,' but anti-American sentiment abounds and violent regimes now mimic us by using anti-terrorism as an excuse to crush dissent.  The people of Afghanistan and Iraq did nothing to threaten us pre-9/11, but they have every reason to hate us now.   Lincoln struggled to bring the country together against the warped ideology and market forces supporting slavery.  His idea of coalition building involved listening to people who disagreed with him.     Bush promoted American solidarity by telling us to go shopping.  His idea of coalition building was "you are either with us or against us." The legacy of Bush's presidency is the economic and moral downfall of America.  He tore Southwest Asia apart for his own interests, and it has cost us nearly five trillion dollars.  This cost does not reflect the generations of Americans, coalition and 'enemy' children left behind in his wake." Meg MinorMansfield