[Peace-discuss] The establishment tries to hold back Americans' anti-war sentiment

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 23:12:20 UTC 2019

In spite of the one-sided presentation by US media--

"First poll has Tulsi Gabbard as the shock winner of the first Democratic debate…"  <https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7186581/Internet-poll-shows-Tulsi-Gabbard-hands-winner-Democratic-debate.html?fbclid=IwAR0j0uh3KwPY_TSlHz9JyPkwkBEiO3KJG2-AqmlcEPuSOxAd2yCj6DT3Lr0>

"NBC’s debate hosts weren’t very interested in Tulsi Gabbard, but Google searches for her name soared” <https://www.rt.com/rtmobile/news/latest/462842/html?fbclid=IwAR0toSPWQZs9HXNA0MXCkpRjJnqPFo8jfi0RCc1SESuIMQDOb-FdDsVezFU>

Gabbard was the sole anti-war candidate on that stage.

Her 'hands-down win' is another illustration of the truth that the American populace is historicallt opposed to war and has had to be manipulated into it by an American elite who arranged to have their enemy appear to strike first - from Lexington through Ft. Sumter, the Lusitania, Pearl Harbor, and the Gulf of Tonkin to our own day.

President John Adams observed in 1813, "The middle third [of the US population] is composed principally of the Yeomanry, the soundest part of the Nation and always averse to War.”

Gabbard's win suggests that that is still the case.

Going thru my files I find this note from an earlier July 4 celebration:

The theme of this year’s July 4 parade in C-U is “Celebrate America.”
I suggest we celebrate Americans’ historic reluctance to fight wars.
They have had to manipulated - and lied - into it from the beginning:

AMERICAN ‘WAR OF INDEPENDENCE’ 1775-83
American leaders encourage separation from Britain not for ‘liberty’ but to protect the slave economy from British threats to abolish it

AMERICAN CIVIL WAR 1860-65
Lincoln and the Republicans attack the South not to free the slaves but to bring the whole country’s economy under Northern control (“a house divided”) - because (Southern) chattel slavery is more profitable than (Northern) wage-slavery

WORLD WAR I 1917-18
Pres. Wilson is re-elected in 1916 on the slogan, “He kept us out of war!” - while he is scheming with NY banks to get the U.S. into the First World War (cf. Creel Commission)

WORLD WAR II 1941-45
Pres. Roosevelt uses Pearl Harbor (probably known in advance) to get an anti-war public to continue the fight for US economic control of the Pacific

KOREA 1950-53
Pres. Truman, having used the atomic bombs to show US military superiority to the post-WWII world, uses Russia & China to “scare hell out of the American people” & continue war economy

VIETNAM 1962-75
Pres. Kennedy carpet-bombs & sends troops to deter “the threat of a good example” - a post-colonial society developing outside US world economic control (‘domino theory’)

TERROR WARS I: CENTRAL AMERICA 1981-96
Pres. Reagan plans to do in Central America what Kennedy did in SE Asia but is prevented by post-Vietnam anti-war sentiment; instead sponsors proxy wars throughout the region

TERROR WARS II: MIDEAST 1991-ongoing
Pres. Bush I attacks Iraq in 1991 to “kick the Vietnam syndrome” [= the public’s aversion to war] & begin a generation of US attacks on the Mideast to control its energy resources.