[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Boeing 737 Max 8

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 15:24:50 UTC 2019

As for these planes, it sounds as though the FAA has finally agreed to
ground them here too.   Maybe Boeing believed Nader's comments about
their executives being criminally responsible for the next crash if they
let the planes continue to fly, and asked the FAA to go ahead and ground
them.

Back in February, on the Risks Digest
<https://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/31/8> - an e-mail list for all sorts of
technological/societal risks, from air safety to mass surveillance to
plastics pollution to synthetic videos that look real - there was
discussion of the Lion Air crash.  It included a link to discussion
<https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/618252-boeing-737-max-software-fixes-due-lion-air-crash-delayed.html>
by a bunch of aircraft people of how the new Boeing aircraft had adopted
this aggressive stall-preventing behavior (forcing the nose down) if it
thought the plane was flying too slowly.   Some stall prevention was
needed, because of the plane's new design which gave it bigger engines
and more capacity -- a desirable thing -- but made it less stable than
previous designs.

The most critical problems people were identifying:
    - It was engineered to judge an impending stall based on the results
from just a single sensor.   Sensors should be redundant - a single
sensor can easily give false data (and have caused crashes in the past,
as when a French plane went down over the ocean when its airspeed sensor
got coated with ice.)
    - Worse, the new stall prevention system was not described to the
pilots in their training - so when it started to misbehave and told the
plane to dive, they wouldn't have known why.
    - The pilots were given a way to override the stall prevention
system - a switch could turn it off - but that only helps them if they
know to use it.

All this was clear after the *first* accident.