[Peace-discuss] anti-neoconservative notes

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Tue Mar 19 03:23:43 UTC 2019

Some notes to spur discussion on AWARE on the Air.

Somalia: The "autopilot" drone-led oil war the media isn't talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd2E9FSKki4 -- RT's report on the US-led
Somali war in which airstrikes and killer drones are leading the way to
clearing out anyone who stops the US from "readying for oil exploration"
and "working on petroleum law"[1] to quote the Voice of America News.

 From RT's report:
> The US has been bombing al-Shabaab Islamic militants there [in Somalia],
> on and off, since 2007. It's proved a minor inconvenience to the
> Al-Qaeda fanboys who continue to go about their business pretty much
> unimpeded. So the hundreds of thousands of civilians forced to flee
> their homes[2] have found themselves caught between the usual lunatic
> terrorists and anonymous killing machines.

[1]
https://www.voanews.com/a/somalia-readies-for-oil-exploration-still-working-on-petroleum-law/4785064.html
[2]
https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/03/07/us-bombardments-are-driving-somalis-from-their-homes-airstrikes-al-shabab/

RT continues:
> So the US military has found itself in quite the sweet spot: it's got a
> surplus of killer drones that are no longer needed in Syria, and a nice
> sandy warzone that no one is paying attention to. Guess what they
> decided? Airstrikes for Somalia! They've surged in the past 6 months.
> Dozens of militants have been killed.[3] And absolutely no civilians,
> says the military. Aid agencies and locals say that actually civilians
> have been killed[4].

[3] https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-46592101
[4] https://allafrica.com/stories/201712110133.html

RT concludes:
> Somalia is a straightforward war to fight: there's an obvious bad guy,
> the drones are doing all of the heavy lifting, and it's all being
> conducted by US Africa command in -- Stuttgart. A city, many of you will
> know, isn't actually in Africa. A former US government official
> described Somalia as war "on autopilot"[5]. Bombing campaigns against
> poor countries have not worked out well in the past. But then again, if
> no one is paying attention, what do they have to lose?

[5]
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/10/us/politics/us-somalia-airstrikes-shabab.html
-- Former National Security Council analyst Brittany Brown, now chief of
staff for the International Crisis Group told this to the New York Times:
"People need to pay attention to the fact that there is this massive war
going on".

Venezuela: US gives away Venezuelan properties, stumping for war?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lVBqV5cPqg -- The US wants to seize
control of the Venezuelan Military Attache building in Washington DC.
Carlos Vecchio, Juan Guaido's so-called Venezuelan ambassador to the US,
took control of another Venezuelan government building after having a
locksmith let him in and did so with the blessing of the US State Dept.

DPRK: Is the CIA behind a DPRK embassy break-in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtLXM3sD1NA -- The DPRK embassy was raided
on Friday, February 22 shortly before the Trump/Kim Jong-Un summit in
Hanoi. 10 masked men broke into the embassy in the afternoon, bound and
gagged the staff, interrogated the staff, and stole equipment. One woman
escaped by climbing out a window and got someone to call the police:

RT's report:

> Officers knocked on the door to investigate but they were greeted by a
> man who opened the door and told them everything was fine. Shortly
> after, two cars left the compound at high speed, one of them reportedly
> actually carrying that man who opened the door. [...] According to
> Spanish police and investigators from Spain's national intelligence
> center, yes, the CIA was involved; they have linked this attack to the
> CIA. According to El Pais [...] they reported that these investigators
> have ruled out that this was a simple robbery by what they call "common
> criminals". Although the CIA has, of course, denied involvement, the
> Spanish government is telling El Pais that the CIA report is
> "unconvincing". They say that this attack was "perfectly planned, as
> though it were carried out by a military cell".

See https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/03/13/inenglish/1552464196_279320.html
for more.

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) on CNN; explaining her request for evidence, not
being examined closely on some other war-related issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZSGZINjvbs -- Jimmy Dore's take on Rep.
Tulsi Gabbard's (D-HI) interview in another CNN "town hall forum". CNN set
up their pro-war questioners, seemingly hand-picked from the elites to
represent pro-war views. It's the usual repeat questions trying to allege
that Rep. Gabbard is 'soft on Assad' followed by Gabbard's patient
explanation that she wants the evidence to guide her understanding of what
is going on in Syria and what the US did.

There were no questions asking her about her views supporting "surgical
strikes", drone war, and her view that there should be "no long-term
deployment, no long-term occupation" (quoting her from her January 2018
Intercept interview). I get into her seemingly pro-war views in
https://digitalcitizen.info/2019/02/13/is-tulsi-gabbard-really-anti-war-no-shes-pro-drone-and-for-surgical-strikes/.

Jimmy Dore offered no examination of that Intercept interview.

 From https://theintercept.com/2018/01/17/intercepted-podcast-white-mirror/

> Jeremy Scahill: I’m wondering what your position, I know that in the
> past you have said that you favor a small footprint approach with strike
> forces and limited use of weaponized drones. Is that still your position
> that you think that’s the — to the extent that you believe the U.S.
> military should be used around the world for counterterrorism, is that
> still your position?
>
> Rep. Tulsi Gabbard: Well, when we’re dealing with the unconventional
> threat of terrorist groups like ISIS, al Qaeda and some of these other
> groups that are affiliated with them, we should not be using basically
> what has been and continues to be the current policy of these mass
> mobilization of troops, these long occupations and trillions of dollars
> going in, really abusing the Authorization to Use Military Force and
> taking action that expands far beyond the legal limitations of those
> current AUMFs.
>
> So, with these terrorist cells, for example, yes, I do still believe
> that the right approach to take is these quick strike forces, surgical
> strikes, in and out, very quickly, no long-term deployment, no long-term
> occupation to be able to get rid of the threat that exists and then get
> out and the very limited use of drones in those situations where our
> military is not able to get in without creating an unacceptable level of
> risk, and where you can make sure that you’re not causing, you know, a
> large amount of civilian casualties.

Military spending: still on the rise, the top 6 companies remain the same
(with only minor rank shuffling).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4EKumpI3hg
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/02/21/military-spending-defense-contractors-profiting-from-war-weapons-sales/39092315/

 From USA Today in 2019:

> There was a 1.1 percent increase in global military spending in 2017,
> according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.
>
> The global rise was driven partially by a $9.6 billion hike in U.S. arms
> expenditure – the United States is the world’s largest defense spender
> by a wide margin. Though it is yet unclear what the growing arms
> investments will mean for international relations, major defense
> contractors around the world stand to benefit.
>
> Total arms sales among the world’s 100 largest defense contractors
> topped $398 billion in 2017 after climbing for the third consecutive
> year. Notably, Russia, one of the countries with the fastest growing
> militaries over the last decade, became the second largest
> arms-producing country, overtaking the United Kingdom for the first time
> since 2002. The United States’ position as the top arms-producing nation
> in the world remains unchanged, and for now unchallenged.
>
> The United States is home to five of the world’s 10 largest defense
> contractors, and American companies account for 57 percent of total arms
> sales by the world’s 100 largest defense contractors, based on SIPRI
> data.
>
> Maryland-based Lockheed Martin, the largest defense contractor in the
> world, is estimated to have had $44.9 billion in arms sales in 2017
> through deals with governments all over the world. The company drew
> public scrutiny after a bomb it sold to Saudi Arabia was dropped on a
> school bus in Yemen, killing 40 boys and 11 adults. Lockheed’s revenue
> from the U.S. government alone is well more than the total annual
> budgets of the IRS and the Environmental Protection Agency, combined.

The top 6 war profiteers (weapons contractors or "defense contractors" to
use their parlance) remain the same -- Lockheed Martin, Boeing, BAE
Systems, General Dynamics, Raytheon, and Northrop Grumman.

 From USA Today in 2013 --
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/03/10/10-companies-profiting-most-from-war/1970997/