[Peace-discuss] Is there still a Jewish Voice for Peace chapter in Champaign-Urbana?

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 16:44:25 UTC 2019

Even though I paid dues to JVP for a few years, I was never really involved
with the local chapter, organized by Samantha Brotman during the Salaita
episode. I haven't heard of any specific activity for quite a few years
now. Meanwhile, SJP seems rather moribund now as well, undone by one of its
leaders' focus on "intersectionality."

I'm critical of the manner in which JVP nationally has attached itself to
#resistance and promoted a kind of Jewish identity politics, a
"progressive" version of the ADL.

There was a good guy named Steve Sherman, I believe a grad student in
Geography, who was involved during the Salaita episode; I'm not sure if
he's still around. I don't think Samantha is either.

I'm not currently on board with the strategy/tactics of the national JVP,
such as I understand them to revolve almost solely around BDS. I know its
grown a lot in membership and contributions in recent years, but nothing
fails like success, as they say.