[Peace-discuss] Nina Paley's panel, "material reality", controlling the debate .... was Re: [Peace] Panel at UFL today at 3

C G Estabrook cgestabrook at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 13:45:05 UTC 2019

In the Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) there’s a theme called “angelology” - the contemplation in all three traditions of beings who’re thought to have the mentality of humans, but without the limitations of physicality. See, for example, psalm 8 in the Hebrew bible (Old Testament):

"O Lord, our Sovereign,
    how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory above the heavens.
     Out of the mouths of babes and infants
you have founded a bulwark because of your foes,
    to silence the enemy and the avenger.
When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers,
    the moon and the stars that you have established;
what are human beings that you are mindful of them,
    mortals that you care for them?
Yet you have made them a little lower than [the divine beings or angels (Hebrew elohim)]
    and crowned them with glory and honor.
You have given them dominion over the works of your hands;
    you have put all things under their feet,
all sheep and oxen,
    and also the beasts of the field,
the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea,
    whatever passes along the paths of the seas.
O Lord, our Sovereign,
    how majestic is your name in all the earth!"

The later traditions had some trouble with this theme. See for example the Letter to the Hebrews in the New Testament (chapter 2):

“Therefore we must pay greater attention to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away from it. For if the message declared through angels was valid, and every transgression or disobedience received a just penalty, how can we escape if we neglect so great a salvation? It was declared at first through the Lord, and it was attested to us by those who heard him, while God added his testimony by signs and wonders and various miracles, and by gifts of the Holy Spirit, distributed according to his will. Now God did not subject the coming world, about which we are speaking, to angels. But someone has testified somewhere,

	‘What are human beings that you are mindful of them, or mortals, that you care for them? You have made them for a little while lower than the angels; you have crowned them with glory and honor, subjecting all things under their feet.'

"Now in subjecting all things to them, God left nothing outside their control. As it is, we do not yet see everything in subjection to them, but we do see Jesus, who for a little while was made lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone. It was fitting that God, for whom and through whom all things exist, in bringing many children to glory, should make the pioneer of their salvation perfect through sufferings. For the one who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one Father. For this reason Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters, saying,

	'I will proclaim your name to my brothers and sisters, in the midst of the congregation I will praise you.' And again, 'I will put my trust in him.' And again, 'Here am I and the children whom God has given me.'

"Since, therefore, the children share flesh and blood, he himself likewise shared the same things, so that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by the fear of death. For it is clear that he did not come to help angels, but the descendants of Abraham. Therefore he had to become like his brothers and sisters in every respect, so that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make a sacrifice of atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself was tested by what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested.”

The role of angels is perhaps even stronger in the Quran. Again, a theme is that they are not subject to physical limitations.

It seems that much of this current discussion resembles this traditional one (caricatured in 17th century Protestant apologetics as the ‘angles on the head of a pin’ debate).

The assertion is that one can transcend physical limitation and choose one’s sex, regardless of materiality.

But people don’t seem to be that plastic, and it's not a solution simply to insist that they are (and perhaps to enforce that insistence by law).

Assertion of plastic humanity looks like angelology in contemporary guise, a level of fantasy that approaches idolatry, the greatest sin in the Abrahamic traditions.

Modern philosophy begins with the assertion, "The world is all that is the case” (Wittgenstein). I think we do no one a favor by denying it.

—CGE