[Peace-discuss] Nina Paley's panel, "material reality", controlling the debate .... was Re: [Peace] Panel at UFL today at 3

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Mar 28 18:17:03 UTC 2019

Stuart's aggressive hostility towards Nina from his first sentence is
breathtaking to me. This is a side of Stuart Levy I have never seen before.
Did she drop you on your head, Stuart? Is that why you're behaving in this
strange un-Stuart-like way?

"Nina and her panel used a familiar rhetorical trick: by controlling the
question to be asked, one can control the debate."

This sentence is loco, Stuart. Nina and her colleagues organized a panel.
Of course their views are going to be privileged in a panel that they
organized. You think they have an obligation to give equal time in their
panel to people who hate them? Is that how you organize an anti-war panel?
Do you give equal time to people with pro-war views? Or, do you figure that
people who want to air pro-war views can, under the First Amendment which
protects us all, air those pro-war views somewhere else?

Someone told me recently that "young people don't care about the First
Amendment anymore." I found that statement astonishing. When I was coming
up, respect for the First Amendment was foundational to left culture,
strongly shaped by the legacy of the McCarthy period.

What could we do to restore the idea that respect for the First Amendment
is foundational to left culture?