[Peace-discuss] Are You ‘Virtue Signaling’?

Szoke, Ron r-szoke at illinois.edu
Sat Mar 30 16:31:22 UTC 2019

Are You ‘Virtue Signaling’?
[Perhaps raging against racism, anti-Semitism, war?]

Probably. But that doesn’t mean your outrage is inauthentic.
By Jillian Jordan and David Rand
Dr. Jordan and Dr. Rand are psychologists.
		March 30, 2019

>From The New York Times:

Are You ‘Virtue Signaling’?

Probably. But that doesn’t mean your outrage is inauthentic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/30/opinion/sunday/virtue-signaling.html

—
> Seems to me a little naive about the amount of self-monitoring that constantly goes on because of the
extent to which people internalize the Gaze of Others (due to socialization & civilization) & concern for the supposed perceptions
& opinions of the Generalized Other.  (What would your Reference Group think?  Is there honor among thieves? etc.)
~~ Ron