[Peace-discuss] HB 1633 looks dead for now ... Re: [Peace] Defending Rights & Dissent: slip now to stop Illinois anti-protest bill

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Thu May 30 17:25:16 UTC 2019

FYI, this bill passed the House many weeks ago.   Note that *Carol
Ammons voted against HB1633*.  But the public mobilization wasn't very
far along then, and it passed there by a large margin.

It looks to me (not a lawyer) as though it would also have meant a
felony charge for people participating in a wildcat strike at a coal
mine, and large fines against any organization involved in organizing
one -- not only for things like pipeline protests.   A very broad bill.

Since the bill got through the house and went to the senate, lots more
activism has been happening.   There were several series of Senate
committee hearings called; there'd be a wave of calls to state senators,
and floods of witness slips in opposition (and a much smaller number in
support); and the hearings would be postponed.   This happened at least
three times.   A bunch of organizations were involved, including Sierra
Club.

The promoters kept adding amendments trying to make the bill look less
dangerous.

Our Sen. Bennett is co-chair of the criminal law committee where it was
slated to be heard; they would have had to approve it before it could go
to the floor of the full senate.

I haven't heard a statement directly from Bennett on this, but his staff
said several weeks ago that he was against the bill, and he recognized
that there was a lot of opposition to it from his district.

Finally this Tuesday afternoon there was a last-chance hearing.
Something like 5900+ witness slips were filed in opposition to it.   It
got through one subcommittee, went to the full criminal law committee,
and was tabled there.   So for this session, I *think* it's dead!

We will need to keep watch in future.  It did have a lot of co-sponsors
and someone will likely bring it back it next year.