[Peace-discuss] Aaron Maté leaving Democracy Now (Russiagate & Syria), The Intercept (Russiagate), and The Real News (Russiagate)

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Sun Nov 10 00:37:29 UTC 2019

Brussel, Morton K wrote:
> It is certainly evident that TRNN is no longer a critical place for most
> important news events. It’s been degraded.
Naked Capitalism has also withdrawn its endorsement of The Real News
Network. From
https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2019/11/paul-jay-and-sharmini-peries-ousted-from-the-real-news-network-in-june-current-fundraiser-hides-that-fact-falling-viewership-and-liberal-turn-result.html

[1] https://therealnews.com/about/contact-us

Brussel, Morton K wrote:
> The loss of Aaron Maté was regrettable: Was that due to Paul Jay?

The two did not agree on Russiagate. Jay struck me as being either somewhat
supportive of Russiagate or he dismissed the idea that Russiagate was a
story of importance.

Maté left Democracy Now over Syria & Russiagate differences, and he left
The Intercept over Russiagate differences as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WayOfTheBern/comments/a81poe/aaron_mate_is_now_basically_saying_he_got_fired/
-- used to have some information about Aaron Maté's departure from The Real
News

Aaron Maté posted https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/985980643971608576
(which is now removed) but used to say:

> I was a producer at @democracynow for 10 years, until early 2016, and
> even before I worked there it was hugely formative for me. I disagree
> with where it's gone on two crucial issues, Russiagate and especially
> Syria.

In https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS0AlApiWLs Aaron Maté discussed that he
couldn't get his Russiagate analysis published at The Intercept.

27m07s:
> [...]
> Russia was trying to hack into voting systems. I mean, if you look at
> the actual document they based their article on, the document itself
> doesn't even show what they said it did. It was like a vague attribution
> [to] Russian hacking but that was based on one analysts' judgment and
> that was contextual information, it wasn't even -- they distinguished
> between contextual information and confirmed information, which it was
> not but they ignored that. It also was basically a spearphishing attack
> that they were talking about which they kind of minimized; spearphishing
> is not a sophisticated hacking thing. As illustrated by the fact that
> whoever was carrying out this supposed massive attack on our election
> system was using a GMail address impersonating a voting company with a
> GMail address. And that's why when I had on James Risen when I was back
> at The Real News and we discussed this issue, he couldn't defend the
> substance of the article and he hung up on me.
>
> [...]
>
> Maté: And I'll say also my former workplace Democracy Now which is my
> favorite news show has the most noble, has such a noble legacy and I
> benefit a lot from it. But their top guest on Russiagate was Marcy
> Wheeler who is one of the most vocal conspiracy theorists out there.
>
> Dore: And revealed a source to the FBI, no?
>
> Maté: That's right, she also turned in a source to the FBI who she said
> played a key role in what she called "Russia's attack on the election".
> Well, her source and her story are nowhere in the Mueller report. And
> we haven't heard her explain what happened there. And yet she was
> treated by many people as sort of a hero for turning in her source,
> when really she was actually violating one of the core tenets of
> journalism [which] is don't turn your source in to the government. And
> now we know, based on the fact that Mueller didn't go anywhere with it
> that it was baseless as was her entire conspiracy theory. So, I'm not
> saying that these two outlets -- Democracy Now and The Intercept -- were
> the worst, but the fact that even our most noble outlets could drink the
> Kool-Aid and go along with it really says something about how bad our
> media culture was.
>
> Dore: And that's why it was emotionally wrenching for me to see places
> like Democracy Now, The Intercept, The Young Turks where I worked push
> Russiagate. It destroyed me, kind of, internally. It was way worse than
> the [coverage of the] Iraq war for me because at least during the Iraq
> war most of the people on the Left were awake about it, right? But this
> was ubiquitous, it was horrible. I looked up who is the editor: Betsy
> Reed is the Editor-in-Chief of The Intercept. Betsy Reed is the editor
> based in New York City, Glenn Greenwald is the co-founding editor. Now
> we know where he stood at. Then the other one is Jeremy Scahill, he's
> the co-founding editor. So I'm gonna guess Betsy Reed sets the tone over

Side note: I disagree with Dore at 45m05s when he claims that:

> [J]ournalists are bigger fuck-ups and screw-ups than comedians.
> Comedians have a higher standard than these people [journalists].
There are plenty of corporate-friendly comics and they get corporate media
comedy specials (Sarah Silverman, for instance, who famously chastised
Clinton/DNC rally attendees they were "being ridiculous" for not accepting
Hillary Clinton's nomination), they get TV shows (Samantha Bee, John
Oliver, Bill Maher, Joy Behar, Whoopie Goldberg are all neoliberals and
neocons or push for same via identity politics), they get interviewed by
mainstream-compatible interviewers (Margaret Cho saying G.W. Bush "is cute
now" when interviewed by Larry King on his RT show which is easily RT's
worst show when King hosts), and virtually everyone on Saturday Night Live.
Most comics you are allowed to hear from on establishment media have very
low standards and will echo whatever the establishment wants them to say.
If they didn't echo establishment propaganda they wouldn't be allowed to
appear on establishment media.