[Peace-discuss] Marcuse interview Tuesday 11:30

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Mon Nov 11 01:22:25 UTC 2019

Herbert Marcuse
American-German philosopher
Herbert Marcuse was a German-American philosopher, sociologist, and political theorist, associated with the Frankfurt School of Critical Theory.
Born in Berlin, Marcuse studied at the Humboldt University of Berlin and then at Freiburg, where he received his PhD. Wikipedia
Born: July 19, 1898, Berlin, Germany
Died: July 29, 1979, Starnberg, Germany
Influenced: Jürgen Habermas, Angela Davis, Douglas Kellner...
Influenced by: Karl Marx, Theodor W. Adorno, Max Horkheimer...
Quotes
"Free election of masters does not abolish the masters or the slaves."
"The people recognize themselves in their commodities; they find their soul in their automobile, hi-fi set, split-level home, kitchen equipment."
"Not every problem someone has with his girlfriend is necessarily due to the capitalist mode of production."