[Peace-discuss] Protests and rebellion…

Brussel, Morton K brussel at illinois.edu
Sun Oct 6 22:50:45 UTC 2019

My conclusion is that if people do not feel threatened, hence vitally concerned, it will be difficult to mobilize formidable masses against our wars, militarism, economic system, fossil fuel interests and ecocides, especially when a smothering media and government propaganda  are opposed.

The “Extinct" rebellion (a la Greta Thunberg) movement is promising, because it is especially the youth who understand the urgency to do something revolutionary, now.   Getting “government” as now constituted, to act as science indicates is necessary, is highly unlikely. For example, getting police (and other instruments of state power) to support or even tolerate  a militant protest movement is problematic, since their jobs and financial incentives are what keep them loyal to state repression.

Yet, who can know for sure what may happen—minorities sometimes win the day—and therefore ways to uproot the present system are worth encouragement and active support. …Optimism of the heart…

I’m too ancient (decrepit?) now to attend most protests, but I too mourn the fact that such public protests as existed from the early 2000’s (related to mideast wars) have languished here.

—mkb