[Peace-discuss] Militarization of First Responders

David Green davidgreen50 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 17:01:36 UTC 2019

9/11 ANNIVERSARY

They’ll be taking steps in tribute

By TIM MITCHELL

tmitchel at news-gazette.com

CHAMPAIGN — ROTC students at the University of Illinois will join first
responders and law enforcement in climbing the Memorial Stadium stairs
Wednesday morning to mark the deadliest terrorist attack in history.

Wednesday marks the 18th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist
attacks, an event where nearly 3,000 lives were lost at the World Trade
Center and Pentagon.

“We are doing this as a way to spread awareness and let people know we will
never forget,” said Midshipman Dylan Neil Lim.

Members of the Naval, Army, Air Force and Marine Corps ROTC units will
gather at the stadium at 5:30 a.m. for muster. They’ll be joined there by
police, firefighters and FBI representatives.

At 6, they’ll begin climbing

— 1,980 steps up, 1,980 steps down.

“The event is a way to honor and remember the firefighters who selflessly
climbed the 1,980 steps of the twin towers, as well as all others who
perished on 9/11,” Lim said.

Among other area 9/11-themed events:

➜ An 8:46 a.m. Wednesday ceremony at West Side Park will feature speakers,
a Champaign Fire Department bell ceremony and a Champaign Police Department
firing detail.

➜ Urbana city employees, firefighters, police officers and first responders
will gather outside the city building at 7:30 a.m., with a moment of
silence observed at 7:46 a.m.

➜ The I & I Firefighters Association 9-11 Memorial Ride will leave
Danville’s Village Mall at 10 a.m. Sunday and travel through several area
towns.