[Peace-discuss] Glenn Greenwald's new show -- System Update -- related notes, pointers

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Thu Apr 2 03:33:46 UTC 2020

Glenn Greenwald's new show, System Update, debuted today. Greenwald's first guest is
Kyle Kulinski (host of Secular Talk on YouTube) and Liz Franczak. System Update is in
two languages -- English and Portuguese. The first episode of System Update is about
the Sanders campaign (which doesn't appear to be doing well if you believe he was
running to win, a perspective I believe was successfully debunked by the late Bruce
Dixon in https://www.blackagendareport.com/bernie-sanders-sheepdog-4-hillary in 2015).

System Update playlist (reload this to find new episodes)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW0Gy9pTgVntTChFgj0xwMrsc1GO32-DZ

Greenwald interview on The Hill about his new show, related issues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaEN2LRF3wk

Kulinski's Secular Talk show
https://www.youtube.com/user/SecularTalk/videos

Liz Franczak
https://twitter.com/liz_franczak

Franczak's TrueAnon show
https://soundcloud.com/trueanonpod

The Hill show
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPWXiRWZ29zrxPFIQT7eHSA/videos

I'm not such a big fan of Kulinski's show because I think he's far less radical than
I am about the topics he covers, still willing to accept the acceptable limits of
debate set down by the establishment -- two major corporate parties and their
establishment-friendly media outlets -- and you see this in how he frames the issues
he covers. But he comes up with interesting clips of things which are worth watching.
So sometimes you can easily pick one of his videos and fast-forward through
Kulinski's commentary.

I'm not familiar with Liz Franczak's work so I don't have any opinion of her views.
Greenwald says she co-hosts TrueAnon and takes a different tack than Kulinski -- "Liz
talks about these events from a somewhat more systemic and analytical framework than
Kyle does".

I think Greenwald raises an excellent point that Sanders "simply wanted to run
against the Democratic establishment as an abstraction but had one foot outside the
party but one foot, for decades, in it and therefore was incapable of mounting the
kind of aggressive condemnation of the Democratic Party establishment wing that
probably was necessary to convince large numbers of people to abandon it and ignore
their leaders decrees to vote for Joe Biden and instead vote for him [Sanders]". I
also think that the clip we see of Sanders saying that "the country is sick and tired
of hearing about your damn emails" to Hillary Clinton is equivalent to the
sheepdogging we see today where Sanders constrains campaign insiders from "too harsh"
critiques of Biden (including admonishing Sanders campaigner David Sirota for writing
about Biden's corruption), effectively campaigns for Biden by saying "Joe is a friend
of mine", "Joe is a decent guy", and "Joe Biden can beat Donald Trump" while
ostensibly running against Biden. Dixon got this all right years ago and this is a
clear reason why Sanders shouldn't be POTUS, and why you can't trust the Democratic
Party. Sanders' support of the working class has to be lowered accordingly -- if he
can't stand up to the establishment of the party he's effectively a part of, how can
he be trusted to stand up for your values in your time of need? Greenwald's analysis
is well worth hearing and considering.

I'm puzzled about The Hill's devotion to "social distancing". I've seen them do shows
from their homes but lately they seem to be back in-studio which makes no sense to me
at all. This means they are risking spreading infection with each other but also with
all of their on-set production staff and everyone all of these people live with. This
is very strange, particularly in light of the rightfully strong criticism one can
level at:

Bernie Sanders silently tacitly accepting telling people to vote in DNC primary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syE3mMd8bMo

DNC pushing people to vote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPo3NR8ln0Q

both of which Jimmy Dore has been covering quite well.

-J