[Peace-discuss] Keywords 040720

Szoke, Ron r-szoke at illinois.edu
Wed Apr 8 01:09:50 UTC 2020

Keywords  040720
An occasional reminder of terms sometimes useful in political analysis & polemics

charlatan, Schadenfreude, neurosis, myth, nonsense

CHARLATAN  (shär′lə-tən)  n.
>  A person who makes elaborate, fraudulent, and often voluble claims to skill or knowledge; a quack or fraud.
[French, from Italian ciarlatano, probably alteration (influenced by ciarlare, to prattle) of cerretano, inhabitant of Cerreto, a city of Italy once famous for its quacks.]
  —  American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language
>  someone who professes knowledge or expertise, esp in medicine, that he or she does not have; quack
[C17: from French, from Italian ciarlatano, from ciarlare to chatter]
  —  Collins English Dictionarychar•la•tan (ˈʃɑr lə tn)
>  n.  a person who pretends to special knowledge or skill that he or she does not possess; quack; fraud.
[1595–1605; < Middle French < Italian ciarlatano, b. ciarlatore chatterer and cerretano hawker, quack, literally, native of Cerreto a village in Umbria]
  —  Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary

SCHADENFREUDE   (shäd′n-froi′də)  n.
>  Pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.
  —  American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language
>  n  delight in another's misfortune
[German: from Schaden harm + Freude joy]
  —  Collins English Dictionary
>  n.  pleasure felt at someone else's misfortune.
[1890–95; < German, =Schaden harm + Freude joy]
  —  Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary
>  A German word meaning harm joy, used to mean pleasure taken at the misfortunes of someone else.
  —  Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group
// The guilty pleasure whose time has come
>  In the past two decades _schadenfreude_, a German word that means (according to the Oxford English Dictionary) “malicious enjoyment of the misfortunes of others,” has gained popularity in the English-speaking world. Google’s graph for word usage shows a steep upward curve for schadenfreude during the first decade of the 21st century. — Stephen Miller [No, not the Trump advisor], Weekly Standard, 12/24/18

> Brief homemade definitions by RSz.
+  NEUROSIS :  a persistent tendency to engage in futile or self-defeating behavior
+  MYTH:  something believed by two or more other people, but not by me
+  NONSENSE : in the local vernacular, any political or religious opinion that I dislike, disagree with & sneer at.  (cf. lie, garbage, hysterics, bullshit, fake news, etc.)
	#	#	#

—