[Peace-discuss] Early Voting in Nevada Protected Our Democracy from the Deep State

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 18:43:22 UTC 2020

https://www.facebook.com/robert.naiman/posts/10159192962942656

Early Voting in Nevada Protected Our Democracy from the Deep State

You’ve probably noticed that there’s been a fair bit of chatter about
protecting our elections from furriners. Not quite so much chatter about
protecting our elections from Home-Grown Threats. So let’s talk about Early
Voting and the Deep State. It has been alleged that the Deep State leaked
the “Russia, Russia, Russia!” story to WaPo to try to move the needle in
Nevada. Let us suppose for the sake of the present discussion that this
allegation is true. Let me be perfectly clear, as Barack Obama used to say.
I’m not saying that the allegation that the Deep State leaked the “Russia,
Russia, Russia!” story to WaPo to try to move the needle in Nevada is true.
I’m just saying, let us suppose, for the purposes of this discussion only,
as a kind of what-if thought experiment, that the allegation that the Deep
State leaked the “Russia, Russia, Russia!” story to WaPo to try to move the
needle in Nevada is true. Did the Deep State’s alleged strategy work? Did
the Deep State get what they wanted from their alleged chess move? Of
course, we don’t know the “counter-factual.” Perhaps if the Deep State
hadn’t allegedly stuck its big nose in where it didn’t belong, the election
result would have been EVEN MORE lopsided. But surely we can all agree that
the Deep State didn’t get the result that they allegedly wanted. Why not?
Well here’s an objective fact. When the Deep State made its alleged chess
move, some 70,000 people in Nevada had already voted. Even if those 70,000
people cared a great deal about “Russia, Russia, Russia,” for those 70,000
people, it was Too Late. It was like when Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout
finally agreed to take the garbage out. It was Too Late. There was nothing
70,000 Nevadans could do about the Russians. Paul Revere didn’t make it to
Nevada in time to warn them that the Russians were coming. I know that some
people have trouble getting very excited about “mere process reforms” like
enforcing Article I of the Constitution and the War Powers Resolution of
1973. But you have to concede that it’s a beautiful if unintended fact – if
unintended, then even more beautiful - that Early Elections hardened our
democracy against the alleged depredations of the Deep State.