[Peace-discuss] Kristin Hrafnsson reports American arguments against Assange "have been torn apart" by Assange's lawyers using publicly-available information

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Tue Feb 25 18:50:38 UTC 2020

Kristin Hrafnsson, WikiLeaks Editor-in-chief, spoke with RT from London outside the
court where Julian Assange's extradition hearing continues. There are active
pro-Assange protests there as Hrafnsson speaks.

Some points and quotes from Hrafnsson in RT's interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5391lsAjjg4 :

- The U.S. presented "shallow and hollow" arguments "that have, since then yesterday
afternoon and especially this morning, been torn apart by the lawyers of Julian
Assange. They are basically presenting to the judge that she has to take into
consideration that the extradition request is based on fabrication and it can easily
be proved by publicly available information and material that is available to the
United States. So the abuse here is that the English Court is being misled by the
Americans, they are trying to abuse the process of extradition by mere fabrications."

- "A psychiatric violation would be presented [...] where it is deemed that Julian is
suffering and that's the professional opinion that will be presented in detail. And
that if it is imminent that he will be extradited, there is certainly a very high
risk of suicide."

- Hrafnsson was not allowed into the public gallery today (2020-02-25): "I have no
idea what happened this morning but when I was trying to enter the public gallery I
was called out from the group that was asking 'Where is WikiLeaks' editor?' and I was
told specifically that the court had decided that I would not be allowed into the
public gallery. I was given no grounds [for the refusal to admittance to the public
gallery] and I went to search for the head of the court here in the building, the
head of the office was not available so I went outside and made a statement. [Later]
I was approached and told that a misunderstanding had occurred and they actually
apologized. I have demanded a written explanation of what occurred and a formal
apology for whatever occurred this morning but I haven't heard any explanation [...]"

- Julian Assange, in court, is in a dock behind bulletproof glass. Kristin Hrafnsson
said Assange has a hard time hearing what's going on in the room.

- "He [Julian Assange] will never get a fair trial in the US. But my primary concern
is will he get a fair trial here in the UK?"

-J