[Peace-discuss] JFP: Tell NYT: Report who's funding "pro-Israel" SuperPAC's Iowa attack ads

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 20:45:35 UTC 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Just Foreign Policy <info at justforeignpolicy.org>
Date: Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 3:28 PM
Subject: Tell NYT: Report who's funding "pro-Israel" SuperPAC's Iowa attack
To: <naiman.uiuc at gmail.com>

[image: Just Foreign Policy]
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=BfMdsT7EQ%2BNn6L1i3btfm9hM1elXtUmq>

*Tell the NY Times: Report on who is funding the attack ads by a
"pro-Israel" SuperPAC in Iowa **Sign the petition
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=snTZCGVne7%2B3UeICqV5Ch9hM1elXtUmq>
&
Retweet @NYTimes
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=l8AxtzMQ6NpIcMR4YNCoO9hM1elXtUmq>*

Dear Robert,

On January 28, the New York Times reported
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=tLMpDUkrSOxAWNkc38h8L9hM1elXtUmq>
that a “super PAC” that calls itself “Democratic Majority for Israel” was
airing attack ads in Iowa against a frontrunner for the Democratic
presidential nomination. DMFI was launched
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=G1IALkna7S%2Fh7BAqfUn6ethM1elXtUmq>
last year to counter the progress activists have made
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=fJemtnilASrcXjj9Ftbsn9hM1elXtUmq>
within the Democratic Party in challenging U.S. support for Israel’s
military occupation of Palestinian civilians.

*But the Times didn’t tell readers anything about where DMFI gets its money
for these attack ads. *

The Times article extensively quoted Mark Mellman, who was identified as
“the president of Democratic Majority for Israel and a longtime Democratic
pollster.” But previous reporting and its own website strongly suggest that
Wall Street oligarch Todd Richman, “co-chair” of DMFI, is a key money man
behind this effort to combat human rights advocates in the Democratic Party.

The Jewish Telegraphic Agency describes
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=0jyJNFS5ohYdV%2BTYbsLaLthM1elXtUmq>
Richman as "a J.P. Morgan executive who is also a major donor to the
party”, and his J.P. Morgan bio
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=0jyJNFS5ohbNIPQt9fotDNhM1elXtUmq>
says he specializes in managing money for “high-net-worth individuals”. On his
bio
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=i6cXrCnAdnL%2FNW0lEdusTdhM1elXtUmq>
on his blog at the Times of Israel defending AIPAC from criticism for
hosting Trump, Richman is described as “a financial advisor and managing
director with a firm based in New York City … active in several pro-Israel
and Jewish organizations most notably AIPAC … He previously worked as a
non-profit executive for such organizations as the American Israel Public
Affairs Committee (AIPAC) and the American Jewish Congress." His bio at DMFI
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=7DRbtknekDUnpkgHGgY%2Bw9hM1elXtUmq>
describes him as "a top Democratic fundraiser raising money for several
Members of the House leadership and several US Senators including; Sherrod
Brown, Amy Klobuchar, Joe Manchin, and Jeanne Shaheen… Richman has served
as a delegate to the Democratic National Convention and was a John Kerry
Trustee in his 2004 bid for the Presidency. He has also led and
participated in several missions to Israel with elected officials."

At a time when big money interests are attempting to buy our democracy,
readers deserve to know who is funding the efforts to sway public
opinion. *Urge
the New York Times to tell its readers where “Democratic Majority for
Israel” gets its money for attack ads in Iowa by **signing our petition*
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=IoO87I2CQHdzdk9FZpVZuNhM1elXtUmq>*
and **retweeting our tweet to the NYT*
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=m0yXau4EtP7%2BxrChXQShJthM1elXtUmq>*.
*

Thank you for all you do to make U.S. foreign policy more just,

Erik Sperling, Sarah Burns, and the Just Foreign Policy Team

*If you think our work is important, please make a donation to support it.*

*http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/donate *
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=W0y%2Bw8Y12qz%2FMQ6taxcisdhM1elXtUmq>

[image: Please support our work. Donate for a Just Foreign Policy]
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=7sgPue8fLIGTuXETofL6E9hM1elXtUmq>