[Peace-discuss] Astore article

Brussel, Morton K brussel at illinois.edu
Fri Jun 12 19:29:57 UTC 2020

This guy sees it as it is; I recommend it as reflecting much of what I think, but not all. He doesn’t talk about corporate capitalism, or even empire, except obliquely.
I understand that some may think this gratuitous on my part to relay this on email.

I would like to know what you all disagree with here, if you do.

http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/176711/tomgram%3A_william_astore%2C_america%27s_forever_wars_have_come_home/#more

Also, considering Paul’s suggestion regarding the South’s secession in 1860. I recommended Eric Foner as a historian who has made it his preoccupation to understand that war and its consequences.

https://history.columbia.edu/faculty/foner-eric/

http://www.ericfoner.com/

This last gives links to utube lectures by Foner. Part I discusses “The Coming of the Civil War.

Remember “E Pluribus Unem” (sp?)

And here’s an article which argues for Paul’s conjecture.  https://ilsr.org/lincoln-should-have-allowed-south-secede/
Lot’s of speculation hereof what the future might have been.

Mort