[Peace-discuss] Virtue signaling is such a convenient distraction and substitute for policy changes

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Sun Jun 14 02:32:26 UTC 2020

According to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UoZvKDRZp8

- HBO is removing "Gone With the Wind" from its streaming system for fear of
offending someone with the depiction of black people. The segment host says it'll be
back later with a new introduction about racial history.

- The BBC "Little Britain" is also being removed from the BBC's streaming system for
depicting someone in blackface.

- Some streets in New York City will be given an additional name of "Black Lives
Matters" and this slogan will be painted on the pavement. Mayor Bill de Blasio says
"What will be clear is the street name and on the streets of our city is that message
that now this city must fully, fully deeply feel, and this nation must as well, that
black lives matter."

- And more including statues being taken down, Merriam-Webster revising their
dictionary's definition of "racism", and Apple's Siri iPhone voice-controlled
auto-responder apparently responds to the question "Siri, do all lives matter?" with
"All Lives Matter is often used in response to the phrase Black Lives Matter, but it
does not represent the same concerns. To learn more about the Black Lives Matter
human rights movement visit blacklivesmatter.com".

What's most interesting about all of this to me is:

- no policies are being changed that would actually help people's lives (not even the
black people all of this virtue signaling ostensibly aims to benefit). This seems to
me to be a victory for the establishment.

- 'Black Lives Matters' started as little more than sloganeering and rightly received
criticism from BlackAgendaReport.com's Glen Ford for being only that. If Black Lives
Matters is being adopted by the establishment that's a clear sign that it's probably
useless to anyone seeking genuine reform. What constitutes genuine reform? Here are
some specific actionable ideas: a national jobs program (if you're 18+ and an
American citizen the government will give you a living wage infrastructure job doing
work our country needs domestically like building/maintaining roads & bridges, laying
high-speed Internet fibre cable, building houses for the homeless, and such);
Medicare for All; and a Universal Basic Income. Each of these helps shave some rough
edges off of capitalism (which is probably why we see none of them being enacted).
There's not even serious police incentives change coming. We can see the co-optation
taking place as we notice what's not being discussed. The changes listed in that RT
segment are all happening and they all aim to serve the establishment's interests to
look better than they are.

-J