[Peace-discuss] Pres. Trump could challenge the Democrats to back Medicare for All in similar fashion

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Thu Mar 5 02:05:25 UTC 2020

C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> The Pentagon seems desperate (and consequently insubordinate) to disrupt Trump’s
> attempts to remove troops from Afghanistan:
>
> "The US military has conducted an airstrike against Taliban fighters in
> Afghanistan’s Helmand province, jeopardizing a fragile ceasefire and Donald
> Trump’s much-touted peace roadmap for Afghanistan…"

If only Pres. Trump showed as much resolve with regard to Medicare for All then we
could see (again) what the Democrats are made of.

Trump could publicly say (perhaps in a tweet so we had it in writing) that he'd sign
either current Medicare for All bill unchanged from what they are now. He could
challenge the Democrats to, say, bring Jayapal's House Medicare for All bill to the
floor for a vote, tell all congressional Republicans to support the bill and vote it
up, and then he'd sign that bill into law. Or start in the Senate with Sanders'
Medicare for All bill and have that land on his desk ready for signing into law.

It would be a useful moment to expose the fact that neither bill would ever come to
Pres. Trump for signing. The Democrats would end up telling us why they haven't
brought either bill up for a vote and we'd see another example of why they didn't
bring up HR676 for a vote even when the Democrats had a majority in both houses of
Congress and a Democrat in the White House.