[Peace-discuss] sneer, jeer, smear

Szoke, Ron r-szoke at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 26 22:19:59 UTC 2020

Keywords  032620

sneer,  jeer,  smear (S-J-S) sequence
  (used routinely & constantly in online polemics) — RSz.
—
SNEER  (snîr)  n.
1. A scornful facial expression characterized by a slight raising of one corner of the upper lip.
2. A scornful tone or statement.
v.intr.  1. To assume a scornful or derisive facial expression.
       2. To speak in a scornful or derisive manner.
v.tr.  To utter with a sneer or in a sneering manner.
>  sneer at,   sneer at (someone or something)
1. Literally, contort one's face into a disdainful, scornful, or condescending expression because of and directed at someone or something.
+  Sarah just sneered at me when I invited her to my party.
+  The king sneered at the artist's portrait, claiming it looked nothing like him.
2. By extension, to regard someone or something with haughty disdain, scorn, condescension, etc.
+  I feel like the rest of the world is sneering at us because of our outdated, backwards laws.
+  I used to sneer at the idea of working in a cubicle for eight hours a day, but once I had kids and needed steady income, it stopped sounding so unappealing.
  —  Farlex Dictionary of Idioms
>  sneer at someone or something
to make a haughty or deprecating face at someone or something; to show one's contempt for someone or something. +  I asked her politely to give me some more room, and she just sneered at me.
+  Jamie sneered at the report that Ken had submitted.
  — McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs

JEER
jeer  (jîr)    v.intr.  To speak or shout derisively; mock.
v.tr.  To abuse vocally; taunt: jeered the speaker off the stage.
n.  A scoffing or taunting remark or shout.
vb  (often foll by at) to laugh or scoff (at a person or thing); mock
n  a remark or cry of derision; gibe; taunt
v.i.  1. to speak or shout derisively; scoff or gibe rudely.
v.t.  2. to speak or shout derisively at; taunt; mock.
  3. to drive away by derisive shouts (fol. by out of, off, etc.): to jeer an actor off the stage.
n.  4. a jeering utterance; derisive or rude gibe.  [1555–65]
— the online Free Dictionary by Farlex

SMEAR
v.tr.  1. a. To spread or daub (a surface, for example) with a sticky, greasy, or dirty substance.
b. To apply by spreading or daubing: smeared suntan lotion on my face and arms.
c. To cause to be blurry or spread in unwanted places: The ink on the poster was smeared.
2. To stain or attempt to destroy the reputation of; vilify: political enemies who smeared his name.
3. Slang To defeat utterly.
v.intr. To spread easily in an undesired way: This mascara smears when it gets wet.
n.  1. A mark made by smearing; a spot or blot.
2. A substance to be spread on a surface.
3. Biology A sample, as of blood or bacterial cells, spread on a slide for microscopic examination or on the surface of a culture medium.
4. a. Vilification or slander.
b. A vilifying or slanderous remark.
— American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language,
vb (mainly tr)  1. to bedaub or cover with oil, grease, etc
2. to rub over or apply thickly
3. to rub so as to produce a smudge
4. to slander
5. slang US to defeat completely
6. (intr) to be or become smeared or dirtied
n  7. a dirty mark or smudge
8.  a. a slanderous attack
b. (as modifier): smear tactics.
9. (Medicine) a preparation of blood, secretions, etc, smeared onto a glass slide for examination under a microscope
 —Collins English Dictionary
v.t.  1. to spread or daub (an oily, greasy, viscous, or wet substance) on or over something: to smear butter on bread.
2. to spread or daub an oily, greasy, viscous, or wet substance on.
3. to stain, spot, or make dirty with something oily, greasy, viscous, or wet.
4. to sully, vilify, or soil (a reputation, good name, etc.).
5. to smudge or blur, as by rubbing: The signature was smeared.
6. Slang. to defeat decisively; overwhelm.
n. 7. an oily, greasy, viscous, or wet substance, esp. a dab of such a substance.
8. a stain, spot, or mark made by such a substance.
9. a smudge.
10. vilification; defamation.
11. something smeared or to be smeared on a thing, as a glaze for pottery.
12. a small quantity of something spread thinly on a slide for microscopic examination.
— Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary,
Smear of curriers: a company of men skilled in dressing and colouring tanned leather, 1476.
Examples: smear of curriers, 1486; of gynaecologists—Mensa.
— Dictionary of Collective Nouns and Group Terms.
===