[Peace-discuss] When establishment goals, ethics, and identity politics collide

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Tue Mar 31 00:48:42 UTC 2020

Aaron Maté retweeted a now uncomfortable reminder of the obligation that goes along
with the phrase "believe all women" -- one must carry this burden even when it
directly conflicts with one's choice to push establishment values. Hollywood
celebrity Alyssa Milano's Twitter post from September 18, 2018 is coming back to
haunt her and so many other people who have made comparable sentiments:

> You 👏 can’t 👏 pretend 👏to 👏 be 👏 the👏 party 👏 of 👏 the 👏 American
> 👏people 👏 and 👏 then 👏not 👏 support 👏 a 👏 woman 👏 who 👏 comes forward 👏
> with 👏 her 👏#MeToo 👏 story. #TuesdayThoughts

Now this post comes up again in the context of the establishment's silence around
allegations of Sen. Joe Biden's sexual assault history. The most recently-discussed
chapter of this history -- Alexandra Tara Reade's allegation of what happened to her
in 1993.

Some background: See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14tfnIkQ-qU -- Sen. Joe Biden's
former staff assistant Alexandra Tara Reade accused Sen. Joe Biden of sexual assault.
Reade was one of 7 other women who shared stories about Biden's sexual advances,
assaults, and other forms of inappropriateness or illegality. Lucy Flores is another
one of the women whose names you might have come across before. This clip from Jimmy
Dore & co. explains the situation and replays an interview with interviewer Katie Halper.

According to Katie Halper's description from
https://soundcloud.com/katie-halper/joe-bidens-accuser-finally-tells-her-full-story :
> She [Reade] told part of her story-- about how Biden would put his hands on her
> shoulders and run his fingers up and down her neck-- in the spring of 2019 after
> Lucy Flores accused Biden of kissing the top of her head and smelling her hair
> inappropriately. But Reade didn't tell her full story. As Ryan Grim reveals at
> The Intercept, Reade asked for help from Time's Up, but the organization said it
> could not support her because a case taking on Biden would jeopardize their
> non-profit status. Tara is finally telling the story she's been trying to tell for
> decades. While there were no witnesses to Biden's alleged sexual assault of Tara
> Reade, her brother and close friend, both of whom I've [Katie Halper] spoken to,
> recall Reade telling them about it at the time.

Under any other circumstances, given only this retelling of the allegations, Biden
would be considered persona non grata. Major American corporations would do what they
could to quickly distance themselves from Biden. This is how things happened for many
other men accused of doing horrible things to others (mostly women) without consent,
often under circumstances where one is expected to behave professionally.

But serving the establishment matters more: establishment-serving media have
apparently chosen to remain silent on the matter. Biden continues to be the
Democratic Party frontrunner (the presumptive nominee, in fact) and it is up to
non-compliant media outlets to cover what is going on. There are so few such outlets
that I've listed what I could find below. The stories of other women seem to have
stopped even from media previously believed to be progressive in their support of
sexual assault victims.