[Peace-discuss] Crowdstrike admits they have no evidence to back Russiagate accusations

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Mon May 11 22:13:34 UTC 2020

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Sw7TbmfN8 -- Aaron Maté reports on the
latest testimony Crowdstrike president Shawn Henry (14m 6s)

Article:
https://thegrayzone.com/2020/05/11/bombshell-crowdstrike-admits-no-evidence-russia-stole-emails-from-dnc-server/
reads:

> Crowdstrike, the firm behind the Russian email hacking allegation at the core of
> Russiagate, makes a bombshell admission: “We did not have concrete evidence.”
>
> In newly released Congressional testimony, Crowdstrike president Shawn Henry said
> that “we did not have concrete evidence” that alleged Russian hackers actually
> took the emails from DNC servers. “There’s circumstantial evidence, but no
> evidence that they were actually exfiltrated,” Henry said.
>
> Aaron Maté breaks down Henry’s testimony and why it adds new doubt about the core
> allegation at the heart of Russiagate.

and has a pointer including the aforementioned video.

Crowdstrike is the source for the ongoing and widely-repeated but utterly false
allegations that the DNC emails were exfiltrated by Russians, and that this is how
WikiLeaks got their copy of that data. The Democrats have been using this story to
help explain away Hillary Clinton's remarkable second loss to a first-time
presidential candidate (first time Barack Obama, this time Donald Trump). It turns
out that Russiagate story after Russiagate story falls apart on analysis undermining
the entire baseless conspiracy theory. Now Crowdstrike has apparently shifted from
pushing the Russiagate narrative to admitting that they "did not have concrete
evidence" to back up their own earlier claims when giving Congressional testimony.

In a somewhat related story, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is
undergoing a push to adopt Crowdstrike's software across all UIUC-owned computers.
This might even be a University-wide push encompassing all computers owned by any of
the UI campuses. The software purports to analyze the activity on a computer on which
the Crowdstrike software is installed to predict, stymie, and notify administrators
about behavior characterized (by Crowdstrike) as malicious. This will be done by
monitoring the computer's activity (storage activity, network activity, and more),
and reporting on such activity to a central database maintained by Crowdstrike. This
was described in https://answers.illinois.edu/93944 (among other documents on
answers.illinois.edu) and
https://techservices.illinois.edu/services/endpoint-security-crowdstrike/details (an
overview of the service).