[Peace] FRIDAY--COME PROTEST!!

parenti susan rose sparenti at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 19 14:02:24 CST 2001

This Friday, Nov 23(the "busiest shopping day of the year" say the
merchants, trembling with hope), 12 noon to 1pm, come join Lad(d)ies
Against War on the Prospect overpass, where the exit from I-74 intersects
with Prospect Avenue.

Bring signs that protest
         bombing of Afghanistan
         fraud of this 'war'
         loss of civil liberties in the name of 'national security'
         total silence in the media about protests around the world
         ownership of media and government by corporations
         refusal of the News Gazette to represent our towns' protests
         belief that we are 'winning this war' and other PR lies
          belief that the Northern Alliance is a victory
         the racism of our actions against Arabs and people of color

             and any phrases/formulations/concerns YOU have. We think of
LAW as being an alternative to the newspaper, which shows none of these
ideas.

If you need a ride to Prospect, come to the School for Designing a Society
(409 N. Race) at 11:30---we'll have cars and a van to ride over at 11:45.

If you can go directly to Prospect, then park in Loewe's or at the China
Restaurant, but NOT at Slot and Wing, Tire Lube or the other small
stores.(we've been towed once before).

If you have a musical instrument, or a flier, or anything you want to
share with our citizens-acting-as-consumers, bring it. This is a way to
talk to our neighbors, to give them a decent chance to see other points
of view.

P.S.  Three times in the
past month the News Gazette has sent someone to photograph L.A.W. and
interview us, and all three times nothing appeared in the paper; the
editor told Barry Miller of LAW that "protest is not news". Legalized
violence in the form of bombing, erosion of civil liberties, and racism
are apparently all so novel and unusual in this country that the News Gazette
has to rush to cover them. But a protestors, a steadily growing
group of people who have been outside for nearly 8 straight weeks?---ho
hum, they're a dime a dozen! Happens all the time!!
-- The mental contortions of the media cowards as they try to cover
their ass while looking good, are interesting to note.

Susan parenti.