[Peace] Trouble brewing!

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 27 17:12:22 CST 2001

Dear Peace Activists,

Today when we were demonstrating at the State Capitol against HB 2299 and
the war, we were handed new emergency rules governing demonstrations. They
are extremely repressive, BUT they CAN BE challenged.

Around Veteran's Day, the Secretary of State's Office issued an emergency
amendment to Title 71, the administrative code that governs the use of the
capitol complex facilities. The amendment adds severe restrictions to the
public's ability to get a permit to demonstrate in the State Capitol
(examples are listed further down in the email).

The emergency amendment expires in 150 days, BUT there is already a proposal
to make the amended version permanent. Members of the Joint Committee on
Administrative Rules, the body that will vote on the new rules, need to hear
from you before their December 18th meeting (their names and contact
information are at the end of this email).

They need to know that you oppose further restrictions on the public's use
of our State Capitol.  They need to hear from as many of you as possible.
Many times our lawmakers are so overwhelmed with rules and laws that they
don't spend enough time looking carefully at what's at stake. Your civil
liberties are what's at stake.

Here are some of the worst restrictions proposed in the emergency amendment
to Title 71 that the Secretary of State's Office wants to make permanent:

·	"No demonstrations are allowed above the first floor of the Capitol
building; this includes singing, chanting or shouting in a loud voice of the
type that could interfere with the business conducted in the building."  The
earlier code had no such language barring demonstrations above the first
floor.  We pointed this out when we tried to get a permit to demonstrate on
the 3rd floor outside the House and Senate Chambers and we were denied each
time.  We argued that they were violating their own code.  This amended
language would codify their earlier restrictive practices.
·	"Applicants may also be denied a permit if past demonstrations
involving their particular organization/individuals have resulted in
removal, arrest, or other violation of this Code." This is horrendous!
Members of the 85% Coalition (a peaceful direct action group for queer
rights in IL) were falsely arrested last May and acquitted of all charges.
Under the new code, we and anyone else who has been removed from the Capitol
for ANY reason could be denied a permit to legally demonstrate in the
Capitol. This amendment could make it illegal for some of us to even enter
our Capitol.
·	"Permitted demonstrations may be canceled without prior notice by
the Director of the Department of Police, if security concerns warrant such
an action.'  Again, way too vague.  Who determines what a security concern
is? This sounds like another repressive measure to quash political dissent
and could be used against any group wanting to hold a demonstration.
·	"Singing, chanting, or shouting in a loud voice of the type that
could interfere with the business conducted in the building" is now included
in the definition of "demonstration."  What's a loud voice?  Who makes the
determination that business could be interfered with.  This language is way
too vague.

The original code also has severe restrictions on our civil liberties and
needs to be challenged.  But immediate action is needed to stop these
additional draconian amendments. Please spread the word far and wide and
write to the following regarding amendments to Title 71, the Illinois
Administrative Code. Please write, fax or call instead of emailing because
it is more effective.

Bob Mueller, Asst. Council at Driver Services (author of the amended code)
298 Howlett Building
Springfield, Il 62756

Jesse White
Secretary of State
Springfield, IL 62756

Tell these two men to repeal their amendments!

Tell the following to vote against the amendments:

Members of the Joint Committee on Administrative Rules

Senator Barack Obama, Co-Chairman
105B State House
Springfield, Il 62706
217-782-5338 (p), 217-782-5340 (f)

Senator J. Bradley Burzynski
121C State House
Springfield, Il 62706
217-782-1977 (p), 217-782-9586 (f)

Senator Doris Karpiel
123  State House
Springfield, Il 62706
217-782-5572 (p), 217-782-4079 (f)

Senator Lisa Madigan
105C State House
Springfield, Il 62706
217-782-8191 (p), 217-782-5340 (f)

Senator William O'Daniel
103A State House
Springfield, Il 62706
217-782-5304 (p), 217-782-5252 (f)

Senator Steve Rauschenberger
615 A State House
Springfield, Il 62706
217-782-7746(p), 217-782-0116 (f)

Representative Bill Black
634 State House
Springfield, Il 62706
217-782-4811 (p), 217-782-1873 (f)

Representative Tom Cross
O-2 Stratton Building
Springfield, Il 62706
217-782-1331 (p), 217-782-6812 (f)

Representative Steve Davis
2057-L Stratton Bldg.
Springfield, Il 62706
217-782-5996 (p), 217-782-1333 (f)

Representative Phil Novak
2064-L Stratton Bldg.
Springfield, Il 62706
217-782-5981 (p), 217-782-0945 (f)

Representative Dan Rutherford
H-1 Stratton Bldg.
Springfield, Il 62706
217-782-7776 (p), 217-782-1401 (f)

Remember: until these amendments are repealed, they are in effect NOW and
could become permanent. We can beat this attempted suppression of our civil
liberties is we act together now!

PLEASE EMAIL COPIES OF YOUR LETTERS TO ME FOR OUR RECORDS. THANKS!

Kimberlie Kranich
Co-founder 85% Coalition (a peaceful direct action group for queer civil
rights in Illinois)