[Peace] Spirit of Islam, Sat. at 9pm

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 18 10:48:58 CDT 2001

  Saturday 9:00 p.m. on public radio WILL AM 580 and also live streamed on
the Intenet, www.will.uiuc.edu   		***SPECIAL..."First Person:
The Spirit of Islam"  (See Below)

The second installment of Minnesota Public Radio's three-part series
"Religion and Disaster" is entitled:  "The Spirit of Islam."  Much of
Islamic spirituality remains mysterious and inaccessible to Americans - in
part because the source of Islamic faith, the Koran, is virtually always
learned and recited by its faithful in Arabic, the poetic tongue of the 7th
C. prophet Mohammed. In this new installment of "First Person," we'll
explore the SPIRIT of Islam, the inner appeal which makes it the faith of
nearly 1.2 billion people and the fastest growing religion in the world.
We'll experience the religious thought and the spiritual vitality of two
Muslims, male and female.  They are both American AND they both have roots
in ancient Islamic cultural, intellectual, and spiritual traditions.  Their
stories and ideas, music and readings, evoke a sense of the richness of
global Islamic spirituality, and of some of its hidden nuances and beauty.
They reveal how Islamic religious experience is conveyed in large part
through sound and music and poetry, making this show a unique radio
contribution to our current national encounter with Islam.