[Peace] Global Media and the War against Terrorism

Paul Mueth pfmueth at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sat Oct 27 22:09:09 CDT 2001

At 5 PM tomorrow on Weft, I'll be presenting about fifty minutes of
the forum of the title below, that was held two wednesdays ago at the
levis center ..

The Global Media and the War on Terrorism

a panel discussion

Speakers

Bob McChesney
Institute of Communications Research
on the US media

Suvir Kaul
English
on India and Pakistan

Marilyn Booth
Comparative Literature
on the Arab Middle East

Diane Koenker
History
on Russia and the former USSR

OPEN DISCUSSION TO FOLLOW

At this time of crisis and conflict there is an immense need for
reflective and internationally aware public debate. The parameters of
our understanding, however, are to a considerable extent framed by
the media sources on which we rely for our information. This panel of
local scholars will critically examine the role of the media at this
time, both in the United States and elsewhere: in the Middle East,
the former Soviet Union, and South Asia. What perspectives are
overlooked in mainstream US coverage of the war, and how can we
overcome inadequacies in our primary news sources? How and why is
this conflict viewed differently elsewhere? And what constraints
exist on media discussion in these countries? Brief presentations by
the expert panelists will be followed by an open discussion on these
issues.

Note that Prof McChesney's friday forum address will be presented on
the courier at 6pm on monday on weft.
Marilyn Booth will be on Focus 580 some time this week.