[Peace] Johnson date is set--Please respond

Peter Miller peterm at shout.net
Mon Sep 17 19:32:12 CDT 2001

Although Tim Johnson is in town until Wednesday afternoon, we weren't able
to schedule a meeting with him.  (He will, however, be speaking at a class
at UI on Tuesday, and it may be worthwhile to take concerns to him
there.  Does anyone know which class he's going to attend?)

We do have a meeting scheduled with his press secretary, Matt
Bisbee.  Based on the schedules people sent me, the meeting will happen at
8 a.m. on Thursday at Johnson's office, 2004 Fox Drive, Champaign.

Please let me know if you plan on being there.  The more people we have,
the better!

    Meet with Tim Johnson's Aide
    Thursday, September 20, 2001
    at Tim Johnson's Champaign Office, 2004 Fox Drive, Champaign
    RSVP to peterm at shout.net by Wednesday afternoon

Below is a version of the statement we'll be presenting.  Thanks to all who
contributed to it.

In solidarity,
Peter

We are U.S. citizens and residents interested in helping our government
find the least violent response possible to the attacks of September
11.  We offer the following sentiments and observations:

The U.S. government should offer all aid necessary to assist the victims.

The U.S. government should work with other nations to capture those
responsible for the attacks.  If the planners of the attacks can be found
and tried in a fair and just trial, they should be imprisoned.  The assets
of those who funded this operation should be found and frozen. Retaliatory
bombing or other strategies which kill and cause suffering for innocent
civilians must be rejected.

Our government should abide by established international law and standards
of conduct when operating outside U.S. borders.  If suspects are captured
outside the U.S., the World Court should be the forum for their trial.

Military strikes against uncertain targets compromise American safety.  We
fear that our government may enter a military war against an ill-defined
enemy.  We believe that such attacks, whether "pin pricks" such as the 1998
strikes against Sudan and Afghanistan or full-scale invasion, will not make
us more secure.  We feel thatU.S.attacks will provoke more attacks against
the U.S.

Civilian deaths are unacceptable in any U.S. response.  The September 11
attackers claimed thousands of civilian lives.  A U.S. response that takes
more civilian lives places our government in the same category as the
attackers.

Muslims and those perceived as "foreigners" must be protected from
attack.  Our congressional representatives should follow suit with
President Bush and issue statements urging the public to be tolerant of
those who appear different.  The message should be communicated directly to
local and state law enforcement leaders.

American freedoms must not be compromised.  We should learn from our
history.  The Palmer Raids of 1920, Japanese internment camps during World
War II, the McCarthy Red Scare, and the FBI's Counter Intelligence Program
(COINTELPRO) of the 1960s and 1970s all teach us that America is diminished
when our government denies Americans their civil liberties.  We hope that
America will not be scarred by another similar event.

Enhance safety by promoting democracy and helping satisfy human needs.  Now
is the time to reject the Cold War doctrine articulated by George Kennan in
1948:
We have about 50% of the world's wealth, but only 6.3% of its population.
In this situation we cannot fail to be the object of envy and resentment.
Our real task in the coming period is to devise a pattern of relationships
which will permit us to maintain this position of disparity...We should
cease to talk about vague and...unreal objectives such as human rights, the
raising of living standards and democratization...The less we are hampered
by idealistic slogans, the better.

Such attitudes put all Americans at risk by fostering rage against our
government.  Our post-Cold War government must articulate a new doctrine
which rejects Kennan's ideas.

Cease efforts to elevate commercial privileges above civil, political, and
economic human rights and environmental protection.  As an economic
superpower, we must take leadership in addressing human needs.  Promoting
trade agreements and funding financial institutions (such as the
International Monetary Fund and World Bank) that disregard human need will
inevitably put Americans at greater risk to future attack.

To put out a fire, the fuel source must be depleted.

If we want peace, we must have justice.

Please use your office to promote justice and enhance the safety of all
Americans.