[Peace] Gazette on-line poll

Peter Miller peterm at shout.net
Tue Sep 18 16:50:19 CDT 2001

James Jacobs pointed out to me that the Gazette is running a truly
objectionable on-line poll.  They've had it up for a couple days, now, and
both James and I have asked for it to be taken down.  Here's what they posted:

What should the U.S. reaction be to the terrorist attacks?
CLICK ONE:
• Destroy terrorist bases
• Apply sanctions
• Assassinate terrorist leaders
• Attack countries harboring terrorists
• Turn the other cheek

James and I both object to the violent tone of the poll and the dismissal
of any non-violent response ("Turn the other cheek" is obviously presented
to dismiss anyone who believes that the four leading options are all
unacceptable.)

If you have a chance, feel free to email News-Gazette editors, like John
Foreman (foreman at news-gazette.com).

Also, since the editors have failed even to respond to our inquiries, I
hope you feel free to let retailers who advertise in the Gazette know how
you feel about the on-line poll.  (Busey Bank has a banner ad on the
website. 365-4500)