[Peace] a modest alternative

Jim Buell jbuell at prairienet.org
Wed Sep 19 23:52:11 CDT 2001

I responded just to John on this one already, but I should clarify to the
list too. The term came to mind from everybody's favorite conspiracy
trilogy back when I was in college, the Illuminatus (Robert Anton Wilson
and Robert Shea). The storyline, as I recall, had it that the Knights
Templar and other secret organizations from the time of the Crusades to the
present day, among them Masons, the mafia, assassination conspirators,
etc., were secretly "Illuminati" working consistently toward one aim -
"immanentizing the eschaton," i.e. bringing on full-scale Armageddon to
pave the way for the biblical second coming. Guess the reference was a
little too obtuse.

Not to cast aspersions on anybody's beliefs, but I can't be the only one
around with nightmares this week about how maybe, just maybe, there might
be a few literal interpreters of Revelations somewhere in the corridors of
power, looking at their calendars and the expiration dates on the canned
food they socked away for Y2K ... and not worrying over-much about whether
a crazy series of escalations might just set off a nuclear exchange between
Pakistan and India for instance. Bombarding the Afghans with food is a much
better direction to go, wouldn't you agree?

Jim