[Peace] AWARE Notes 3-31-02

Peter Miller peterm at shout.net
Wed Apr 3 14:36:41 CST 2002

Sorry these are late...

AWARE 3-31-02
at the IMC

19 attending

News of the Week from Carl Estabrook.
* Bad news from Israel/Palestine:  In response to terror attacks on Israel,
Israel attacked the Palestinian governmental leader's headquarters.
* UN Security Council passed a resolution directing Israel to withdraw from
some of the Palestinian occupied territories.  It's surprising that the USA
let the resolution pass (after 30 years of opposing such resolutions), then
said nothing about it. ("Israel should carefully consider the consequences
of its actions," Powell, etc.)
* US troops in Phillipines will be there for a long time, said a newspaper
this week.  US troops will be in Afghanistan until Taliban and al-qaida are
captured or killed (i.e. forever), said Defense Secretary Rumsfeld.
* Israeli troops are broadcasting pornography from three Palestinian TV
stations that it captured, deeply offending Muslims.
* Support for War on Terrorism is declining.  Oprah Winfrey refused Bush's
suggestion that she do a program from Afghanistan showing how much better
off women are.  New anti-war newspaper in SF, The War Times, had an initial
run of 7K; printed 100K after hearing demand.  Frank Rich (NYT) said, 'the
democrats should be opposing the war but they aren't.'

Carl Estabrook fundraiser at his house,

UPDATES
MUTUAL AID PACT
  ACLU has endorsed it.  Somebody called ALL the people on the mutual aid
phone tree, and nobody knew what the caller was talking about.

GKC PROPAGANDA PROMO
Sharon called a national rep for GKC theatres and asked about the pro-war
on Terrorism trailer, and was told that it was just inteded to be
supportive of americanism.  If you want to contact this person, Brian
Jeffries, email him at bjeffries at gkctheatres.com  Sharon said he's open to
hearing your opinion!

DEPLETED URANIUM
The Royal Society (the British 'national academy of scientists') issued its
report on depleted uranium, endorsing the view that Doug Rokke has written
for some time.

FUNDRAISERS
Fundraiser April 28 at Highdive.  Contact Vicki Ansermet.

LADIES AND LADDIES AGAINST THE WAR
Radical Cheerleading on Prospect  & I-74.  Lively, different atmosphere -
much support from passers-by!  "Stop the next invasion", "Stop our
government from using terrorism", "Impeach George Bush the Terrorist" were
the messages.

AWARE METING LOCATION
3 people showed up at the U. YMCA looking for our meeting tonight.  Gazette
is still running an announcement that we meet there.

TEACH-IN
***HELP NEEDED--MANY SMALL TASKS***
Leafletting--Carin has 1600 1/4 page flyers, to be placed on windshields,
etc.  Contact Carin if you want to help leaflet.

Staffing needs--Greeters, room coordinators, space watchers, etc. are
needed.  Contact Jennifer at 352-2803 to help.

Attire--Carin asks that AWARE people look presentable for the teach-in,
since we're trying to build bridges to other community members.

Media--David Greene is the spokesperson.  If the media asks to talk to you,
direct them to David.  Carin has a couple talking points:
* wars are fought with the consent of the people, our goal is to ensure
that people are informed.
* we're trying to inform the community, to provide information that isn't
available through the media.

Friday Night--Wayne Weiss, the "film god of the history channel" will be
here.  The films will be somewhat graphic.  Iraq war.

Security--A public event over passionate issues.  Doug will talk to the
Urbana police to let them know the event is happening, and to possibly have
off-duty police be present.  Does having uniformed security on-site invite
problems?

The Debate--Format?  David Greene will facilitate and try to keep the tone
civil, etc.

Food - Food for about 150.
* Tim Gibbs will do bread, chili, condiments, and eating equipment.
* Beverages - Volunteer needed.  Contact Carin.

People can bring
* bread
* cookies
* brownies
* corn bread
* Crock pots
* Ladles
* Muffins

If people are going to bring things, call and tell Carin at 337-5364.

LETTERS TO EDITOR
Robert Dunn.  Adrienne Bauer, maybe. Call Ricky Baldwin if you'd like some
help (356-2205).