[Peace] Upcoming Anti-"Chief" Rally

Meridith Kruse bmmk at soltec.net
Thu Apr 4 21:03:34 CST 2002

*

  	      M A R C H    T O   T H E   C H A N C E L L O R

		      ANTI-"CHIEF" RALLY AND MARCH

			 TUESDAY, APRIL 16, 4PM
			SOUTH PATIO, ILLINI UNION
*

Chancellor Nancy Cantor has continually expressed her commitment to
diversity and appreciation of multiculturalism. Why, then, has she been
complacent on the issue of "Chief Illinwek," the most blatant and
visible sign of racism remaining on our campus? Her potential influence on
the
Board of Trustees is unquestionable. Why does she not use her influence
to make concrete progress on the issue of the "Chief"?

Roger Plummer's report to the Board of Trustees on "Chief Illiniwek" has
come and gone. Although he clearly stated that no compromise can be
reached on the "Chief" issue and that the BOT must make a decision, no
plans have been made public to vote on the status of the "Chief," or
even to discuss the issue.

Join us as we rally on the South Patio of the Student Union and march to
the Chancellor's office at Swanlund Administration Building, at Sixth at
John Streets in Champaign. We demand that Chancellor Nancy Cantor use
her influence on the Board of Trustees to bring about the immediate removal
of the "Chief."  We must hold our Administrators accountable for their
reprehensible and irresponsible handling of this issue of racial
justice!

Co-Sponsoring organizations include: El Centro por los Trabajadores,
La Casa Cultural Latina, Student Peace Action, Red Herring Vegetarian
Restaurant, U of I National Organization for Women, Women's Direct
Action Collective, 85% Coalition.
_
For more information, call (217) 352-8721 or visit
www.prairienet.org/prc.