[Peace] 9-11-02 direct action idea

Rob Scott rob at anacroatan.org
Thu Aug 1 01:01:19 CDT 2002

This is going out to the AWARE and PRC listservs to give an email life to
an idea for a 9/11/02 direct action which is being organized. Hopefully,
many groups will get involved as we continue to organize, and as people
return to town from summer trips.

The idea is a Peace Picnic and Parade.
We want to stage a picnic at the quad around lunchtime, which would then
turn into a parade for protesting the infinite expansion of the so-called
war on terrorism, including its expansion into our domestic life via
curtailment of civil liberties and the homeland spying movement. The
parade would travel from the quad to the FBI building in Champaign.

People are already going about plotting a route and getting permits to
march through town. We need student-group affiliation to assemble on
the quad and are hoping the PRC might help us with that. We should
start making posters this week. People will meet to continue organizing
after the next AWARE meeting (5-6:30 sunday) at the IMC on Main St. in
Urbana to continue organizing. I hope to go to a PRC meeting soon to hear
what they think of the idea, and to help get people involved.

If you want to get involved now you can come to the AWARE meeting, or show
up afterwards at 6:30pm at the IMC.

My image of the parade is that of a public protest, but I think that
calling it a Peace Picnic and Protest Parade might be too many Ps.

Rob Scott