[Peace] Minutes 8/4/02

Sandra Ahten spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 7 07:42:10 CDT 2002

AWARE Minutes
Recorded by Sandra Ahten
8/4/02

Facilitated by Sharon D.
Approximately 21 attended

Education: Noam Chomsky video and good discussion

PAST EVENTS
Al Kagan reported that he and Carol Inkeep represented AWARE as speakers at
the Friday evening forum at the Mosque.  It went exceptionally well lasting
from 8:30-10 with many questions during the  q & a.  Much concern about
discrimination against their community.  They would like to be a part of the
“education” segment of the AWARE meeting at some point in the future and
possible co-sponsor a workshop on discrimination. Perhaps this could be
through Human Rights commission.  An individual there made a $200
contribution to AWARE.
David Green attended a Not In My Name conference in Chicago last week
http://www.nimn.org/
Durl and Jan Kruse went to a Peace Conference in Chicago where they heard a
speaker from 9/11 Families For A Peaceful Tomorrow. You can read his account
at http://print.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=303&group=webcast
Al Kagan and Lisa Chason met with Ahmed:  Interesting. Very forthcoming.
Willing to speak at our future events. Moving to Chicago. Recently got
married. Deportation hearing is Jan 9. Trying to get permission to stay in
country.
Meridith reported that she went to hear an Afro Cuban refugee speaker. He is
willing to be a speaker. She heard him at the AGAPE house.
Robert Dunn reported that the 85$ Coalition held a benefit picnic for Lynn
Sprout the Carle Nurse who was denied time off as her same sex partner was
dying… resulting in loss of job.
FUTURE EVENTS
Carol for Congress office opening at 24 E. Green next Sunday, Aug 11. Open
house from 2-5pm.
There will be a Ladies and Laddies against the War on Saturday at 6pm on the
corner of Lincoln and Green. (in conjunction with the Bears game)

Finances:
Rhea is back in town although still recovering. We should have approximately
$600 plus the $200 recent donation. Meridith needed a check for $100 for the
payment to McKinnley which is where the “Community Event” working group
decided to hold the upcoming event.  She was directed to ask the “Finance
Committee – Rhea, Vicki Anserment and Michaal Walcher to get the check.  It
was reminded that we agreed several meetings back that that group would
approve the budget for the working groups… so the working groups need to get
their tentative budget turned into that group.
THE Working Groups gave their reports- See separate minutes.