[Peace] aware notes 8/11/02

Rob Scott rob at anacroatan.org
Tue Aug 13 20:23:07 CDT 2002

AWARE MEETING 8/11/02

Dorothy Martirano and her friend played cover tunes arranged for cello and
violin.

Sandra Ahten gave a very abbreviated history of COINTELPRO, an FBI program
designed to disrupt and discredit activist groups in the 60s and 70s,
which has been reincarnated as part of the Homeland Security racket.

Carl Estabrook presented News of the Week.

I offered to take notes.

We recapped events of this week:
Susan: There was a group of 10, growing to be a group of 20 protesting war
against Iraq on Lincoln outside the Bears game. Some Bears fans actually
got out of their cars and joined us. It seems like many are ignorant of
the escalation to more war.

We announced upcoming events:
Raia Fink: Kord has completed two more AWARE TV shows - will someone
photocopy the flyer and distribute it?
Jan Kelmar: Kathy Kelly (of Voices in the Wilderness) is doing a 40 day
hunger strike to call attention to the war against Iraq -- we're thinking
about doing something similar here -- anyone interested, call me 328-2754.
Sandra Ahten: October 26 there is a day of nationwide coordinated
mass-actions.
Susan Parenti: I'm going to protest in front of the White House this week
with a bunch of Clowns headed to Croatia. We're protesting what they say
is happening, and what is really happening.
Meridath Kruse: September 21st at 10am we're going to protest the WalMart
in Champaign.
Rob Dunn: August 25th at 9:30am someone from AWARE should go talk at New
Covenant Church about AWARE.

We checked in with the working groups:
PUBLICITY GROUP is putting together a Press Packet on 4 issues central to
AWARE. It will be given to the press anticipation of them misconstruing
our messages. It will also be useful for other purposes.
COMMUNITY EVENT GROUP is organizing a teach-in, for 9/8/02 from 2-4:30pm
at the McKinley Foundation. Ahmed Bensouda and someone from Voices in the
Wilderness will talk, and a search is on for a speaker to address
Israel-Palestine & Iraq. Outreach will be done at quad day, and by
producing a flyer.
DIRECT ACTION GROUP is organizing a protest for 9/11/02 that will consist
in a gathering at the quad between 11am-1pm, with an open mic from
noon-1pm, followed by a march to the FBI building, at the old train
station in Champaign. There will be a one-time Art and Revolution session
on August 24th at the IMC (or the SDaS) to make booths and signs for
meeting and marching with. The title "Peace Parade and Picnic" has been
rejected.