[Peace] pesticide misuse

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Wed Aug 14 06:55:25 CDT 2002

PESTICIDE EXPOSURES DURING ODS
Dr. Doug Rokke, Ph.D.
(Major, MS, USAR)
12th Preventive Medicine Command (ODS)
3rd U.S. Army Medical Command Bauer's Raiders (ODS)
prepared with assistance for National Academy of Science - Institute of
Medicine
May 8, 2001

INTRODUCTION:
    The anticipated endemic diseases and other health problems based on
medical intelligence reports- AFMIC- that could have been dispersed by
various pests led those of us who were members of the 12th Preventive
Medicine Command; the theater command and professional staff for occupational
and public health; to specifically identify, recommend, acquire, and use
various pesticides to control pest vectors and consequent exposures.   As
stated in the OSAGWI report: Pesticides were identified and selected for use
in areas where individuals ate, slept, worked, and relaxed during leisure
activities.  Pesticides included liquid, solid, and gaseous formulations.
While some pesticide were sprayed or placed on terrain, equipment, or
structures; other pesticides were sprayed directly onto clothing, bedding, or
the skin.   Pesticides were used prior to deployment, during deployment in
theater, and upon re-deployment. Consequently, individuals were exposed to a
continuous mixture of pesticides. Some pesticides used during ODS were
acquired through official sources.  These pesticides can be classified as:
(1) organophosphorous compounds, (2) carbamate compounds, (3) organochlorine
compounds, (4) pyretroid compounds, (5) and DEET.  However, while pesticide
compounds available for purchase and use in the United States are usually
approved by the EPA or FDA, pesticides acquired in other countries are not.
Additional pesticides were acquired though local purchase because of Army,
Navy, and Air Force supply system failures.   Consequently; the purity,
chemical composition, quantity, or concentration of these local purchase
pesticides is unknown because records were destroyed.  Therefore the
determination of actual dispersal formulations, appropriate dispersal
techniques, consequent environmental persistency may be difficult if not
impossible.  The result is that the health and environmental effects caused
by exposures to these pesticides may be difficult to anticipate because
correlation between exposures and health or environmental effects escaped
detection.   These last concepts are very important and must be considered
during any discussion of pesticide use with consequent human and animal
exposures during all phases of the Persian Gulf War.   Today, irrefutable
evidence exists that pesticide exposures have, do, and will cause adverse
health effects.  These effects depend on: (1) type of pesticide (chemical
composition); (2) pesticide concentration; (3) route of exposure; (4)
duration of exposure; (5) combinations or reactions with other types of
chemical, biological, or radiological exposures; (6) decontamination efforts,
effectiveness, and timeliness; and (7) the scope, type, and timeliness of
medical care provided to any person or animal that has been exposed to a
particular pesticide or combination of pesticides.

TRAINING AND EDUCATION:
The safe use of pesticides was and still is a concern.  Although, we knew we
that we must use pesticides to control various pests very little if any
education and training was completed.  Individuals assigned to preventive
medicine units, usually with the military medical occupational specialty
(MOS) code 91S, military police,  and individuals assigned to unit field
sanitation teams (FST), any MOS, were responsible for pesticide application.
Therefore, these individuals should have been provided specific training and
education on safe use of pesticides.  Initial or minimal civilian pesticide
training is at least 24 hours if not 40 hours in length.  These programs are
usually prepared and conducted by professional scientists employed by the
USDA Cooperative Extension service.  Although, individuals involved in
pesticide applications during ODS should have completed similar training they
did not for many reasons. Consequently, misuse of pesticides was a rampant
problem.

PRE-DEPLOYMENT:
    The medical intelligence regarding potential pests and consequent
diseases provided by the Armed Forces Medical Intelligence group (AFMIC),
information available from non-military and non-governmental sources, and
discussions with other PM personnel identified many serious concerns that we
should consider.   Consequently, we as preventive medicine and military
operations personnel analyzed the information and determined that pesticides
must acquired, distributed, and used to control the various vectors that
could carry or transmit these diseases. Once this analysis was complete
pesticides and various procedures were identified to meet anticipated needs.
We then ordered the identified pesticides and additional equipment needed to
use these pesticides.  While we were able to acquire some pesticides prior to
deployment that we loaded on our trucks and took with us, we had to wait for
other pesticides to be acquired and shipped to us in theater by the military
supply (logistics) command.  Although, some pesticides and some dispersal
equipment was acquired no personnel protective equipment other than standard
issue NBC protective equipment was available and thus it was not acquired and
taken with us to Saudi Arabia.

DEPLOYMENT:
The urgent need for pesticides and non-availability of U.S. source EPA and
FDA approved pesticides to meet the identified needs resulted in the local
purchase of pesticides throughout the theater of operations.  Therefore, the
chemical composition, purity, uses, and PPE requirements for these pesticides
were not known.  In many cases we did not even know what they were other than
they would kill pests. While OSAGWI report authors acknowledge this on page
57 of the January 3, 2001 report both they and the RAND report authors
decided to ignore this potential problem with consequent exposures and
adverse health and environmental effects.   One of the reasons that
information is incomplete is that documentation was deliberately destroyed.
This includes the theater chemical and biological logs that were ordered
destroyed in Florida during December 1996.  This deliberate destruction has
been verified by Seymour Hersch (refer to "Against All Enemies" page 71) and
GAO investigators.   As reported by the OSAGWI report authors pesticides were
applied in all areas.  However, because pesticides included local purchase
and U.S. supplies,  in many cases the actual pesticide quantities, specific
name of the pesticides, pesticide formulations, application procedures,
application locations, required safety precautions, and expected effects were
unknown.  Once more, the deliberate disregard by OSAGWI investigators of the
local purchase issues suggests that IOM must specifically contact those PM
personnel who were involved in actual pesticide work during ODS.   Pesticides
were applied where individuals ate, slept, and worked as reported by OSAGWI.
Individuals also applied pesticides directly to their uniforms and to their
skin.  Pesticides were also used extensively to delouse enemy prisoners of
war (EPW's) and on cots, clothing, basically all over. Lindane was used via
sprayers to delouse EPW's.  The DELOUSING procedures and equipment are WWII
vintage.  Another issue that has been ignored until considered by my
colleagues as we prepared this is paper on the potential pesticide exposures
storage and consequent outgassing, with temperature variations, of pesticides
from wood that was used as flooring and other structures.  Pesticides were
liberally sprayed over on to the wood once built but also may have come with
impregnated pesticides.  The next issue was local purchase and consumption of
food, specifically fresh fruits and vegetables that may have pesticide
residuals.  These foods were served in military dining facilities and also
consumed  in host nation facilities.  Although several preventive medicine
and medical personnel were on scene, the delousing was done by military
policemen. OSAHA / NIOSH approved PPE was not used and pesticide training and
education for these individuals was extremely limited.  Consequently,
individuals were exposed with several nurses now reporting serious adverse
health effects.  As usual recognition of exposures, health effects, and
medical care is ineffective.  In almost all instances of pesticide use in
theater safety precautions were incomplete or ineffective. Therefore we know
that unacceptable exposures occurred. However, it is very difficult to
determine actual extent of exposures because of record destruction,
retaliation against anyone who spoke up about problems a time of use, and
lack of prompt medical assessment and care.

RE-DEPLOYMENT:
The preparation for shipment of equipment and movement of personnel from
Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and other wartime support locations required
decontamination including pesticide application to eliminate any pests that
could threaten our agricultural system. Consequently various facilities were
set up to clean (decontaminate) equipment. Unfortunately, the process was
incomplete because of time constraints, individual carelessness, equipment
deficiencies, and inadequate training. The important consideration is the
transfer of pesticides and consequent uncontrolled individual exposures.

PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT:
All pesticides sold in the U.S. are provided with material Safety data Sheets
(MSDS's) that specify PPE requirements.  Preventive medicine and other
military personnel who applied pesticides during any phase of the war did not
possess nor use appropriate personnel protective equipment to include:
respirators, eye protection, coveralls, boots, or gloves.  Personnel only had
their M17 or M40 protective mask, MOPP of BDO chemical agent suit, standard
uniforms, and issue gloves.  This equipment does not meet OSHA or NIOSH
standards! Respirators with OSHA / NIOSH approved organic filters were never
acquired. Safety glasses or goggles were unavailable.  I raised this issue of
PPE before deployment, during deployment, and as we re-deployed.   However,
appropriate PPE was never provided to any individual involved in pesticide
application that I am aware of through observation or discussions with my PM
and FST colleagues during or since ODS. It is very disturbing that the OSAGWI
report authors barely discussed the fact that approved PPE was unavailable.
The OSAGWI report authors also did not define PPE (page 73) and thus a
serious issue is avoided because to PPE would verify the dangerous PPE
deficiencies that exist in PM units.
COMBINED EXPOSURES:
Any analysis of pesticide exposures and potential adverse health effects and
environmental must not be done in isolation.   ODS was fought on a toxic
battlefield with many different types of exposures.  These exposures
included: (1) uranium, (2) other low-level radioactive materials, (3)
chemical warfare nerve agents. (4) biological warfare agents, (5) industrial
chemicals, (6) endemic diseases, (7) pyridostigamine bromide, (8) various
immunizations, (9) oil well fire combustion byproducts, (10) CARC paint, (11)
non-ionizing (RF) radiation, (12) human and animal waste, (13) pesticide
solvents or carriers (14) and pesticides.    Each of these individual
exposures may or will affect the same physiological systems that may or will
be affected by pesticide exposure. Consequently any discussion of pesticide
exposures must consider the inter-relationships between multiple exposures
and how these combined exposures may affect individual health. These
interactions thus make a study of individual exposures and potential adverse
health or environmental effects complicated. Physiological assessments,
medical treatment, and a prognosis must consider all additive, subtractive,
synergistic, or potentiating effects for not just single but combined
exposures. For example: An individual who was exposed to a carbamate
pesticide such as carbaryl after consuming PB (Mestinon), which is itself
carbamate compound will experience an additive effect and consequent nerve
agent poisoning. Both of these compounds are cholinesterase inhibitors that
affect nerve impulse transmission. The detected releases of nerve agents from
collateral damage releases also contributed to adverse health effects from
combined exposures. This could account for the thousands of soldiers who got
sick immediately upon ingestion of PB during ODS.  This is just one example
that must be considered.  Consequently because very few if any studies
published in peer review literature or any other literature have looked at
the health effects of these combined exposures, the members of the committee
must expand their search for answers beyond limited single agent or peer
reviewed literature.

HEALTH EFFECTS:
We did have immediate reports of adverse health effects (neurological) caused
by pesticide exposures similar to those reported by farmers and people who
were exposed to pesticides in their homes or where they worked. While very
few if any were acute exposure cases, too many individuals experienced minor
neurological problems for this to be ignored. However, because of other more
pressing problems individuals just kept on working without adequate medical
assessment or care. If individuals received fat soluable pesticide exposures
during any phase of military service and then received an additional
exposures they bodies threshold level could be exceeded with consequent
adverse health effects.   Today, Gulf War veterans from around the world are
experiencing and reporting neurological problems that may be related to the
misuse of and consequent inhalation, ingestion, or absorption of pesticides
and / or pesticide mixtures. I am personally experiencing and my physicians
have documented neurological problems.

RECENT EVENTS:  During 1992, while assigned as an environmental scientist and
educator (IPA) with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineer's Construction
Engineering Research Laboratory, co-located with the University of Illinois
at Urbana - Champaign, I visited Sheppard Air Force Base in Texas. As part of
my responsibilities I completed a hazardous materials use assessment and
found serious misuse,  that I reported, of pesticides.  These findings and
incident correspond with the subsequent exposure and serious neurological
degradation of Major Michael Donnelly.  Major Donnelly had originally been
exposed to preventive medicine applied pesticides and collateral damage
released nerve agents during Military operations in Iraq and Saudi Arabia.
Then again,  during the summer of  2000, military medical personnel
participating in Golden Medic 2000, under the command and control of the
330th Medical Brigade,  were deployed to the field to live and work in tents
and fixed structures located at Camp Parks, California.  Pesticides had been
liberally sprayed into these structures and on to the terrain just prior to
the arrival of the military medical personnel.  Several dozen individuals
became very sick requiring immediate medical care. However, Camp Parks
installation officials had not made adequate arrangements for emergency
medical care because they refused to authorize assigned medical assets to
provide emergency care to the deployed personnel. Consequently individuals
who became ill had to obtain medical care at their own expense form private
agencies.  Today, some of those medical professionals are still experiencing
adverse health problems caused by misuse of pesticides and ineffective
medical care.

SUMMARY:
As one of the few licensed pesticide applicators in the 12th P.M. during ODS,
 I was very disturbed by: (1) the limited acquisition of some pesticides; (2)
unavailability of approved pesticides; (3) local purchase of pesticides; (4)
unavailability of and lack of use of PPE; (5) inadequate reporting; (6)
destruction of records; (7) inadequate knowledge of pesticide formulations;
(8) inadequate knowledge of specific pesticide adverse health effects; (9)
inadequate knowledge of adverse health effects from combinations of
pesticides, chemical warfare agents, PB,  and other hazardous materials; and
(10) inadequate education and training of PM or FST personnel.   Historically
and today, individuals in agriculture community, pesticide applicator
community, and the general public who have been exposed to various pesticides
show subtle and acute adverse health effects. Since most of these exposures
were single in nature and not combined with a multitude of toxic exposures
such as individuals encountered during ODS we must consider not only the
suspected or proven adverse health effects of pesticides exposures but the
previously unknown adverse health effects when we combine pesticides with
immunizations, chemical and biological warfare agents, ingestion of
pyridostigamine bromide (PB), depleted uranium, other radioactive materials,
endemic diseases, oil well fire combustion byproducts, CARC paint, industrial
chemicals, hazardous materials, and other occupational and environmental
exposures.
Another significant problem that IOM must address is the method by which the
committee members derive their conclusions. As previously discussed the use
of only peer reviewed literature to derive your conclusions while ignoring
actual written or verbal reports from those who were involved is a serious
error.  During the Gulf War those of us who were there as scientists,
engineers, and physicians investigated events, collected data, analyzed
collected information, and made decisions.  Although, it would have been
ideal if we could have followed procedures such as required for peer reviewed
report publication that was impossible. When things are blowing up around
you, people are dying, you have incomplete information because it is
unavailable, you can not acquire it, and you do not possess proper
instrumentation you can not prepare reports that fulfill per reviewed
publications criteria.  Consequently, there is very little if any information
about what actually happened regarding pesticide use and effects published in
peer reviewed journals.  I do not know of anyone who was actually involved in
pesticide operations who has written and published an article in a peer
reviewed journal.  However, many reports were written, verbal reports or
comments made, and recommendations offered by those of us who were involved
with pesticides or other exposures during any phase of ODS. Consequently, DA
and DOD officials have tried to quash this information through retaliation
that includes: lost jobs, verbal threats, directives to shut up, ransacked
houses, lost pay, denial of medical care, destroyed documents, burned
offices, blown up cars, and any other technique that will prevent information
dissemination and correlation between exposures and consequent adverse health
and environmental effects.  Today, Army Regulation 40-5: Preventive Medicine
is being rewritten. However, those of us with the most experience and who
will have the primary obligation for safety are not being permitted to
participate in the review and rewriting process.  The majority of preventive
medicine and medical assets are in reserve units. However, reserve personnel
participation in development of guidelines is restricted to ensure political
correctness.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
1. The committee members must request that DOD officials provide all copies
of actual ODS pesticide reports.
2. While per reviewed literature should be used; the committee members must
not limit the derivation of their conclusions to only these documents.
3. The committee members should recommend based on acknowledged misuse of
pesticides, willfully denied or delayed physical medical assessments,
inability to determine actual exposures, inability to identify which
pesticides were used in theater, inadequate safety procedures, and reported
neurological problems in ODS veterans that veterans be awarded presumption of
exposures and consequent medical care and / or compensation for documented
adverse health effects such as neurological abnormalities, respiratory
problems, and cancers.
4. The committee members should recommend that all military personnel
involved in pesticide application complete an initial USDA approved pesticide
applicators certification course (at least 40 hours) and that they maintain
proficiency through annual re-certification.
5. The committee members should recommend that specific pesticide use
protocols be adopted and implemented by DOD officials.
6. The committee members should recommend that Reserve and National Guard
medical professionals be involved in all protocol development specifically
Army Regulation 40-5: Preventive Medicine.