[Peace] more expansion

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Fri Aug 23 19:32:04 CDT 2002

Commander: Ties Growing With C. Asia
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 8:02 p.m. ET

TASHKENT, Uzbekistan (AP) -- The American commander in Afghanistan said
Friday that U.S. military ties with Central Asia, where Washington has
stationed troops and personnel, will continue to expand.

``I would expect in the future ... that we will see a continuing growth in
military relationships between our armed forces and forces here in Central
Asia,'' Gen. Tommy Franks told reporters in Uzbekistan's capital, Tashkent.

The Central Asian nations' support for the U.S.-led campaign in Afghanistan
after the Sept. 11 attacks has significantly improved their relations with
the United States. About 2,000 U.S. troops are deployed at bases in
Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan, and coalition forces are allowed to use airspace
over Kazakhstan and Tajikistan.

The arrival of U.S. military in the region was welcomed by Russian President
Vladimir Putin, but raised fears among many Russian politicians and military
officials that Moscow, long the dominant power in the region, would lose its
influence. The increased U.S. involvement in the region has also irritated
Iran, another regional power.

On Friday in Tashkent, where he arrived after visits to Kazakhstan and
Kyrgyzstan, Franks met with Uzbek President Islam Karimov to discuss military
cooperation and the course of the campaign in Afghanistan.

Echoing Franks, members of a U.S. Congressional delegation that visited
Tashkent on Friday said the United States intends to play a long-term role in
the region.

``We informed President (Karimov) that the United States is in Central Asia
to stay. We are committed to rebuilding Afghanistan. We are committed to
continued economic and political reform in Uzbekistan,'' the delegation's
leader, U.S. Rep. Peter Hoekstra, R-Mich., told reporters.