[Peace] AWARE NOTES

Rob Scott rob at anacroatan.org
Sat Aug 31 10:36:24 CDT 2002

AWARE notes 8/25/02

Dave Green played some music about what Europe did to the world in the
16th century.

Merideth Kruse talked about Plan Columbia.

Carl Estabrook gave the news of the week.

I started taking notes.

Past week events, worthy of attention:

1. As the Bears game began, 25 people protested against war on Iraq, on
Kirby Ave, amongst gridlock traffic. There were more "negative" responses
than the week before; lots of rowdy frat boys was a common
explanation. Next game is 9/8 and everyone agrees we should do continue
protesting, perhaps becoming Bears fans ourselves.
2. We made signs for the 9-11 direct action. About ten people showed up
and we produced about 12 new signs, including 3 big banners reading "NO
WAR" "ENOUGH HAVE DIED" and "NO MORE MILITARY BUILDUP". Much credit to
Lisa Chason.

Upcoming events:

1. This Wednesday, August 28th, Tim Johnson is holding an open meeting
with the public at the Urbana Civic Center from 6:30 - 8:30. Meet at the
Courier Cafe between 5:45 and 6:00 to go over there with a group and a
game-plan.
2. September 13 Amnesty International President Phil Shult will pass
through town, possibly speaking somewhere (?)
3. University High School wants someone from AWARE to come talk to their
social advocacy group class this fall...
4. Javier Ortez is doing a tour talking about the Pennsylvania-based
organization "Why War?" (an AWARE-like group) and Sharon Courvie will be
calling him to possibly coordinate an event in U-C.
5. The University has announced that 9-11 the plaza on the quad will be
reserved for memorial services to the victims of 9-11, and have taken away
the open-mic offer, so we will meet on the grass before marching to the
FBI building. We plan to leaflet the entire quad about what is happening.

AWARE *will* be meeting on 9/8 even though we will have just protested war
at a Bears game and hosted a teach-in the same day... of course we'll be
gearing up for the 9/11 event which will occur three days later.

We broke into working groups for the rest of the meeting.