[Peace] Supporting Today's NY Times Ad (fwd)

patton paul ppatton at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 11 13:04:27 CST 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 11 Dec 2002 18:29:49 -0000
From: "Eli Pariser, MoveOn.org" <moveon-help at list.moveon.org>
To: Dr. Paul Patton <ppatton at uiuc.edu>
Subject: Supporting Today's NY Times Ad

Dear MoveOn member,

It couldn't have happened without your help.  But because so many
of us pitched in, today we're running a full-page ad calling on
President Bush to "Let the Inspections Work" in the New York Times.
Over 14,500 of us contributed, and at last count the petition has
over 178,000 signers.

You can take a look at the ad online at:

   http://www.moveon.org/inspections/Inspections4.pdf

We've also attached below an excerpt from today's New York Times
reporting on our efforts and on the new Win Without War coalition
we've helped found.

Publishing the ad alone is quite an achievement.  But we can raise
the level of attention it receives by making a few follow-up phone
calls.  Please let your Representative, your Senators, and the
President know right now that you'd like the Bush Administration
to let the inspections work.  You can reach them at:

   President Bush
   White House Comment Line:  (202) 456-1414

   Senator Richard J. Durbin
   DC Phone:    202-224-2152
   Local Phone: 217-492-4062

   Senator Peter G. Fitzgerald
   DC Phone:    202-224-2854
   Local Phone: 217-492-5089

   Representative Timothy V. Johnson
   DC Phone:    202-225-2371
   Local Phone: 217-403-4690

(Note: Some of these people may be leaving office, but they're
 still your representatives until January.)

Our friends at Working Assets and TrueMajority will also be making
calls this week, asking our elected representatives to let the
inspections work.  If we each make a few phone calls, we can ensure
that our country's leaders hear our message loud and clear.

Once you've made a call, please let us know at:

   http://moveon.org/callmade2.html?id=940-483317-7rIuh_MQ1ykFQBlSui3cNw

Keeping track of the calls helps us be more effective.

Thank you for being a part of a terrifically successful campaign.

Sincerely,
--Eli Pariser
  International Campaigns Director
  MoveOn.org
  December 11th, 2002

P.S. Yesterday, a group including Matt Damon, Samuel Jackson, Dave
Matthews, Martin Sheen, Anjelica Huston, and forty other public
figures and celebrities held a press conference in support of the
new Win Without War coalition, which will be launched at a press
conference today.  In the next few days, you'll see yet another
MoveOn.org New York Times ad -- we're co-sponsoring the artists'
terrific statement.  You can check out the ad and sign on to the
statement on our main page: http://www.moveon.org

Here's an excerpt from today's New York Times story reporting the
press conference and the new coalition we helped found:

The celebrity group is part of a larger coalition called Win Without
War that will officially begin on Wednesday. Backed by national
religious and civic organizations, including the National Council
of Churches, the N.A.A.C.P., the National Organization for Women
and the Sierra Club, organizers said the group's purpose was to
emphasize what they called a mainstreaming of the antiwar movement.

"We are patriotic Americans who share President Bush's belief that
Saddam Hussein's Iraq cannot be allowed to acquire weapons of mass
destruction," reads the coalition's political mission statement.
"We part ways with the president, however, on the issue of
pre-emptive military attack against Iraq."

One of the founding organizations, MoveOn.Org, started an online
signature campaign a week ago titled "Let the Inspections Work."
Within days, it gathered more than 175,000 signatures and over
$300,000 in donations to buy antiwar advertisements in national
media outlets.

"There is significant energy building out there," said Eli Pariser,
the internet-based group's international campaign director.

For the full story, go to:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/11/national/11PROT.html