[Peace] low time committment- Big job for Peace

Sandra Ahten spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 14 18:01:20 CST 2002

Hey you AWARE occasional meeting attendee; you lurker; you who know that the
time to act for peace is now and were just trying to think of what you could
do,

Here is a BIG thing you can do for PEACE if you have a LITTLE time. AWARE
need a literature coordinator (LC). Part of AWAREs vital mission is
education and one of the way we educate people is through handing out
literature at events. Currently this is a bit of a nightmare everytime we
run out; or run low; or need a change etc.  I know you are busy --we all are
-- but this is really a low time level committment.

I estimate it will take probably 2 or three hours for a week or two and then
less than 1/2 hour per week.  Here is the scoop.

We have a person, Cope Cumpston, who is willing to be the graphic designer
and storehouse for all of our literature. She already has four of our fliers
laid out and ready for proofing and printing. Because she has volunteered to
do this we are in a really good place as far as future literature needs are
concerned.

What we need now is a Literature Coordinator (LC). I see that "job
description" as follows:
1) Keep originals of all of our literature (for copies to be made from)
2) Get literature printed through any of various means.
   a) finding who can do "guerrilla copying" and getting originals to them
   b) getting them printed at a copy shop on an as needed basis (AWARE will
reimburse)
   c) getting them printed in mass quantities (after approval by larger
AWARE group or literature committee)
3) Keep the literature bookshelf at the IMC stocked for AWARE members who
are hosting events to draw from.
4) Be the point person for changes to literature or new literature. If
someone suggests changes to the literature make sure the changes are
approved by a "literature committee" (which really doesn't exists right now)
or by the larger AWARE group (through email or at a meeting) and then get
those changes to Cope. If someone wants a new piece of literature the LC
would in no way be in charge of writing it - just making sure it got
approved and then to Cope for graphic design.
5) Making sure the web person (currently Rosemary Braun) has current copies
of literature for our website.

I would not see the LC person as the person who needs to get literature to
any event -- but rather -- the person who is in charge of an event would
have someone to communicate with prior to tell them of literature needs for
the event and the LC would make sure that that literature was available at
the IMC prior to the event.

I would not see the LC person as the person who would be the liaison for
fliers for a specific event - rather just for our standard literature.

I really don't think that we'll need a literature committee if we have a
coordinator- so there won't be any meetings to attend.

It would be very helpful if the LC had easy access to a computer and could
read and send pdf files. If you have a computer and don't know if you can...
I'm sure someone could help you get your computer set up for this.
(basically it takes some Adobe software).

You will loved by all.

Sandra