[Peace] Dismantling Whiteness Class

parenti susan rose sparenti at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 8 12:54:19 CST 2002

This Thursday, from 1-3:30pm, Celeste, Nikki and Billy from the School for
Designing a Society, and Andrea from "Challenging White Supremacy" in
Oakland CA will present a class on dismantling whiteness. Whiteness is a
social construction rooted in domination, colonization, and slavery. By
"Dismantling Whiteness" we intend to begin the breakdown of the consensus
that says there are "white" people, and that these people have an
obligation (both active and complicit) to subjugate non-"white" people.

The class is structured to provide all people (both raised "white" and "of
color") a dignified way in which to tackle these issues. The class is
intentionally incomplete and explicitly an invitation to create future
projects in this direction. All are welcome.

The class will be held in the yurt behind the School for Designing a
Society.

p.s. We are presenting a class, and this will be intentionally different
than an open discussion about "racism".

Billy K.