[Peace] [Sdas] Bill Ayers in-residence at Unit One/Allen Hall (fwd)

parenti susan rose sparenti at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 28 07:21:30 CST 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:57:16 -0600
From: "Haber, Laura" <LHaber at admin.housing.uiuc.edu>
To: "'sdas at onthejob.net'" <sdas at onthejob.net>
Subject: [Sdas] Bill Ayers in-residence at Unit One/Allen Hall

Bill Ayers
In-Residence at Unit One/Allen Hall 1/28-2/2

Bill Ayers is a school reform activist and Distinguished Professor of
Education at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He is founder of the
Center for Youth and Society and founder and co-director of the Small
Schools Workshop. He has written extensively about social justice,
democracy, and education including Teaching for Social Justice, A Kind and
Just Parent: The Children of Juvenile Court, and an essay in Racism
Explained to My Daughter. His interests focus on the political and cultural
contexts of schooling as well as the meaning and ethical purposes of
teachers, students, and families. His most recent book, Fugitive Days, is a
memoir that chronicles the anti-war movement of the 60's, the Weather
Underground, and his life on the run.

Monday, January 28
6:30pm - Meet the Guest Reception -in the guest apt, rm 145 Allen
8pm - Claiming an Education: Moving Beyond Passivity and Cynicism

Tuesday, January 29
7pm - 9/11: Reflections on Terrorism and War
9pm - Fugitive Days: A Memoir About Political Activism, the Peace Movement
and Life on the Run

Wednesday, January 30
7pm - The Schools We Have, the Schools We Need: School Reform and School
Transformation
9pm - Understanding and Documenting the Lives of Others

Thursday, January 31
5pm - Dinner Discussion: Learning to Teach, Teaching to Learn - in the Allen
Private Dining Room
7pm - A Kind and Just Parent: The Children of Juvenile Court
9pm - Teaching for Social Justice In and Out of the Classroom

All programs are open to the public and take place in the South Rec Room of
Allen Hall, 1005 W. Gregory, Urbana, unless noted. Call 333-8351 for more
information.