[Peace] Local 9-11 Walk for Peace

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 9 12:55:01 CDT 2002

At the A.W.A.R.E. meeting on Sunday, people wanted to know what alternative
events in the community are being planned for the anniversary of 9-11 so
that A.W.A.R.E. could coordinate and share its ideas for events.

Below is a planned Walk for Peace.

Both contact people, Dee and Rebecca, would like to join the peace listerv.
How do they do that?

Thanks in advance,
Kimberlie

Proposal for the
September 11th Services and Walk for Peace

The Baker Board Ministry with Women, of the Wesley Foundation, proposes an
interfaith collaborative program of services and prayer walking in support
of community and global peace for Wednesday, September 11, 2002. The Baker
Board proposes that the churches, synagogue and mosque of Champaign-Urbana
join together to present a unified community calendar of events that would
be available for any community member to attend. Those religious
organizations which choose to join this community program would submit a
brief description of the service(s) or event(s), and the time to the Baker
Board by August 5th.  A poster/flyer would announce all services and events
scheduled for that day to include the Walk for Peace.
The Walk for Peace portion of this calendar would be facilitated by the
Baker Board in collaboration with other spiritual centers. The Baker Board
would place three portable labyrinths, based on ancient prayer
walking/meditation paths, at selected religious facilities located within
the community. More portable labyrinths could be made available with
sponsorship from other religious organizations. The labyrinth walks would be
facilitated by Baker Board members for anyone to walk between the hours of
7:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M.  Community members would be able to walk one or more
of the labyrinths. A community Walk for Peace from one facility to another
could be organized and a map of the labyrinth sites be made available so
that the community walk becomes the outreach portion of the services and
labyrinth walks. Thus, placement of the each of the labyrinths within
reasonable walking distance from each other might be a preferred format.
The Baker Board and religious facilities could all join efforts in the
reproduction and dissemination of the flyers announcing the September 11th
services and Walk for Peace. The community calendars of local newspapers and
television stations would be utilized to invite the community to join us for
workshops, services, prayers, discussion groups, and labyrinth walks. We
think that the demonstration and encouragement of unity within this
community will be beneficial. We encourage members of youth groups, campus
ministries, and outreach and service programs to join together to make this
a special day in support of community and global peace.

Proposed by the Baker Board Ministry with Women, Labyrinth Project,
Wesley Foundation at the University of Illinois,
1203 W. Green Street, Urbana, IL 61801-2998.
<http://www.prairienet.org/wesley/bakerboard/labyrinthproject.html>
For additional information, please contact Rebecca Bahnke at 398-2420.
6/04/02