[Peace] Fwd:[ANSWER]: Lynne Stewart: I'll be at June 29 demo in DC

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Thu Jun 20 17:47:03 CDT 2002

Lynne Stewart: I'LL BE AT JUNE 29 DEMO IN DC

Attorney Lynne Stewart is currently facing decades of jail  time for supposedly helping her client direct "terrorist"
activities from his jail cell.  In fact she is one of the
targets in Bush's domestic war against civil liberties and  civil rights. Stewart is specifically under attack for
being an effective lawyer who helps defend her clients
against government abuse.

Stewart made the following comments at one of a series of  press conferences called by the A.N.S.W.E.R. (Act Now to  Stop War & End Racism) Coalition this week announcing the  June 29 March on the FBI's Washington headquarters to  Defend Civil Liberties.

STATEMENT BY ATTORNEY LYNNE STEWART:

I Will be at the June 29 Demonstration in Washington.
I Hope Everyone Joins us to Stand up for Civil Rights!

I stand before you today because I want to urge everyone  to be in Washington on June 29th.  Because I truly believe  that the only way to save the country is to put the people  in the streets and protest what is going on.

I'm before you today not because I'm facing 40 years at  the indictment of John Ashcroft, but because for 40 years  I have fought and struggled to make my country do justice  -- not just in the courts, where I work, but everywhere.

And I think that all the people who in the sixties marched  on Washington for racial justice and to end an unjust war  -- those people should be there on the 29th.  Also, so
should all the next generations, who have not had the
privilege of being active, and participating with fellow
Americans, if I can use that word.

What also needs to be protested is what has happened to  the Muslim community and the communities of persons who  are targeted by Ashcroft/Bush -- such as Jose Padilla, who  is sitting in a jail somewhere while they wait for him to
talk to them.  So we are confirmed in our belief of
torture at the hands of the persons who supposedly
represent us.

It is for that reason that I say there is no time to be
lost:  We must be there on the 29th.  We must raise our
voices, demand an end to the abrogation of civil
liberties, for all the reasons that Ramsey Clark just
said, for all the reasons we know in our own hearts.

You know, Angela Davis said:  if they come for me in the  morning, they'll be back for you tonight.  And that is the
way we are living now in America.  We must protest, we  must raise the people, we must be of the people, raise
them from the slumbering that allows them to believe that  this Ashcroft/Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld axis -- this evil axis  -- will somehow protect them.  We know that it will not.
 The only thing that can protect us is to do justice in
the world.

For that reason, I'll be there on June 29, and I hope that  everyone within hearing distance of my voice will be there  also.

Speakers in addition to Stewart at today's press
conference in New York City included: Professor Hani Y.  Awadallah, President, Arab American Civic Organization;  former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark; Saleheddin  Mustafa, Executive Committee, Human Rights Education & Law  Project (HELP); Jennifer Wager, IFCO/Pastors for Peace and  A.N.S.W.E.R. Steering Committee; Ashik Abbas, IMAN Net --  The India Muslim Alert Network; Larry Holmes,
International Action Center, and a spokesperson for
A.N.S.W.E.R.; and Kian Flores, Philippine Forum and
A.N.S.W.E.R. youth organizer.

Earlier this week, A.N.S.W.E.R. held a press conference in  Washington DC.  Speakers included: Mara Verheyden
Hilliard, attorney and co-founder, Partnership for Civil
Justice-LDEF; Mahdi Bray, Executive Director of th