[Peace] July 4 parade organizing

Lisa Chason jnp at ux6.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Jun 25 11:39:01 CDT 2002

With the 4th of July fast approaching (it's a week from this Thursday) we
need
to go over what's happening with AWARE's float: If all goes according
to plan it will consist of 3 segments. The first will be a flatbed truck
carrying a number of people seated on folding chairs, each holding a copy of
a mainstream newspaper or magazine and one looking at a TV, holding the
remote. There will be one big drum. To its steady beat (identified as the
beat of war) each person, all in unison, will read their paper and turn the
page or gaze at the TV and click the remote. Around the bottom of the truck
will be a banner with websites of alternative media/info sources.
The next segment will be a fancy convertible car. Standing inside and waving
to the crowd will be 2 teenage beauty types, think prom king and queen or
Barbie and Ken. They're waving to the crowd mechanically/doll-like, flashing
huge white smiles. And they are carrying a sign that says "You are being
lied to".
Segment three takes place on the street, following the convertible. Led by 3
to 5 members of a community drumming group that plays African rhythms this
is the "march to a different drummer" segment where everybody can join in
and walk along, dressed however they want, walking on stilts, carrying
placards/banners -- any messages that AWARE could be expected to endorse.

This is the plan and the committee that worked on it for several weeks hopes
you  like it. To make it a reality there is quite a bit of work that needs
to be done. First of all, we're still looking for the necessary vehicles so
if anyone can get us a flat bed truck (just the trailer would also be ok)
and a fancy convertible please contact me asap.

Next is the making of the props and signs. This will take place on Monday,
July 1, at Sharon Coeurvie's house.Address: 1106 W. Church St, Champaign,
across from Davidson Park. Tel: 355-2858. Sharon will provide drinks, bring
some food to pass around if you like. Children are welcome -- they can also
play in the park. Here we will make the banners and signs and also practice
the routine.

Then there is the parade itself. We have been designated as unit # 49. This
is near the IMC's float and the Green Party is trying to change spots with
another group so they can be nearby as well. #49's location for setting up
is on the west side of Lincoln Ave, just south of the corner with Green St.
Vehicles that will take place in the parade have to be parked here before
noon. The parade starts at 1:05. So between 12 and 1 anybody who plans to be
part of the float/parade must arrive at this destination.

The parade starting pt is Nevada and Lincoln. The route is south on Lincoln
to Forida/Kirby  then west to First St. End point is First and Kirby.

Hope this is all clear. Any questions please call me (344-06832). Looking
forward to seeing lots of people on July 1st to help get everything ready!

Lisa Chason