[Peace] chicago actions

blue2 at net66.com blue2 at net66.com
Fri Mar 1 06:09:03 CST 2002

Here's an excert from a notice I got from a Chicago group.  These
actions are out of our immediate geographic area but relevant to
the R part of AWARE.  Make the trek if you can!  I've copied the
short facts at the top and details at the bottom.
Meg

****************[just the facts]****************
Friday, March 22 -
Defend Our Rights/Free Rabih Haddad!
Rally featuring his brother, Mazen Haddad, from Toronto and Sami
al-Arian, a tenured University of South Florida professor fired for his
political views in favor of Palestinian rights.  8 pm at the Al-Aqsa
School, 7361 W. 92nd St, Bridgeview.

Saturday, March 23 -
Defend Our Rights/Free Rabih Haddad!
Rally at 7 pm at the United Church of Rogers Park, 1545 W. Morse
Ave, Chicago.

**************[details]****************************

Important Solidarity Action!
Free Rabih Haddad!

Racial profiling, a few months ago considered a national scandal, is
now official government policy against Arabs, South Asians and
Muslims.

Through the USA Patriot Act and other measures, the government
has stripped away many  of our rights, especially those of
immigrants, brazenly decreeing that the Bill of Rights does not
apply to the millions of immigrants who live in this country.

The case of Rabih Haddad has become the nation's most
prominent example of this gross abuse by our government.

Congressmen John Conyers and Lynn Rivers have spoken out in
his defense, the Washington Post has editorialized against the
secret court hearings in his case, and Conyers, the Detroit Free
Press, the Detroit Metro News and the ACLU have filed suit against
Attorney General Ashcroft to open up the hearings.  Haddad has
been imprisoned in solitary confinement for more than 2 months,
with no criminal charges, no evidence produced against him, on 23-
hour-a-day lockdown in a roach-infested cell, and allowed just one
15-minute phone call a month to his family.  Recently the federal
government told his lawyer that Haddad wasn't even considered a
possible suspect for criminal charges. Haddad's treatment makes
a mockery of the principle of due process and "innocent until
proven guilty."

Help build the movement against these injustices by attending a
protest rallies featuring:

Mazen Haddad, brother of Rabih Haddad from Toronto, Canada

Sami al-Arian, tenured University of South Florida  professor fired
for his political views in favor of  Palestinian rights.

And other prominent community leaders speaking at one or both
events:

Stan Willis, African American Committee to Free Mumia abu-Jamal
and Aaron Patterson

Mahmud Ahmad, Chicago Coalition Against War & Racism, and
the Committee for a Democratic Palestine

A representative of the Comité Exigimos Justicia (We Demand
Justice Committee, an anti-police brutality & misconduct
organization.)

8 pm, Friday, March 22
Al-Aqsa School
7361 W. 92nd St, Bridgeview

7 pm, Saturday, March 23
United Church of Rogers Park
1545 W. Morse Ave, Chicago

Sponsored by the Chicago Coalition Against War & Racism (CABN
is an active member of the Coalition)
Web site: www.chicagoantiwar.org   E-mail:
nowarnoracism at hotmail.com