[Peace] civilians killed

patton paul ppatton at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 5 00:14:55 CST 2002

On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Al Kagan wrote:

> Professor Marc W. Herold's article, a Dossier on civilian victims of
> United States' aerial bombing of Afghanistan is at:
>
> http://www.cursor.org/stories/civilian_deaths.htm
>
> He counted 3767 through Dec. 6th.  There are some names of people
> here, but not as many as I thought.
>
> The Howard Zinn article, "The Otehrs," has lots of names.  It is in
> the Feb. 11th The Nation, page. 16-20.
> --

I read both the Zinn and the Herold articles, and I don't think they
contain enough names of Afghan victims to compile an impressive name list
to read at the candlelight vigil.  I also think it would be a bad idea to
commemorate the Afghan victims by using ficticious names, because that
would hurt our credibility.  I would like to propose, that instead of
listing either American or Afghan names, that we take turns reading some of the
first hand accounts of civilian casualties compiled in the Zinn and Herold
articles, perhaps interspersed with brief readings about the American
tragedy on Sept. 11.  The Herold article in cursor contains lots of good
color graphics.  Here at Beckman, we have large format color printers.
I don't know if they are available for non-work related uses, but I could
check into it, as a way of making a large poster to display at the vigil.
-Paul P.
Dr. Paul Patton
Post-Doctoral Research Associate
Beckman Institute  Rm 3027  405 N. Mathews St.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  Urbana, Illinois 61801
work phone: (217)-265-0795   fax: (217)-244-5180
home phone: (217)-328-4064
homepage: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ppatton/index.html

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the
source of all true art and science."
-Albert Einstein