[Peace] Carl for Congress needs you!

James Buell jbuell at prairienet.org
Fri May 3 14:08:41 CDT 2002

Carl Estabrook's Green Party congressional campaign is actively seeking
volunteers to help get him on the ballot. Beginning tomorrow and
continuing into mid-June (sig-gathering deadline), we're hoping to get
people out on Saturdaysto gather signatures, hand out leaflets and otherwise
spread the word.

Tomorrow we're looking for as many people as possible to help out with
gathering signatures at the "Duck Races" event at Crystal Lake Park in
Urbana. This event draws several thousand people from around the area, and
we can probably get several hundred voters' signatures if we can have
enough people holding clipboards. John Paul is coordinating volunteers for
this - you can contact him via phone (337-1125) or email:
petitions at carlforcongress.org. We're looking for people anytime from 9
through 5, so if folks want to show up after the Prospect/I74 action for
instance that'd be grand.

Starting the following Saturday, 5/11, we'll plan to meet up in front of
the IMC (218 W. Main, Urbana) at about 1:45 pm to touch base and to head
out for an afternoon of sig-gathering and publicizing the campaign - both
around town and elsewhere in the district, which stretches all the way
from Kankakee to 2 counties south of Mattoon, and from Indiana nearly to
Decatur. Carpooling can get us to weekend festivals, public places, etc.
Most weeks we'll head out from IMC between 2 and 2:15, to give people time
to get there from the AWARE actions on Prospect if they wish to.

Next Saturday, 5/11, also marks the beginning of the Urbana Farmers Market
in Lincoln Square. We'll be gathering sigs there in the mornings, and
could use additional people for that as well.

Anyone who'd like to get in on the planning for Carl for Congress is also
very welcome to sign up for the prairiegreens-org email list, where lots
of online planning gets done. There are also fairly regular planning
meetings Wednesday evenings at IMC for Carl for Congress. This coming
Wednesday, for instance, we'll be planning for an evening rally that is
tentatively set for May 22 at the IMC. More about that soon.

If you'd like to gather sigs but can't make it Saturdays, you can grab the
forms off of www.carlforcongress.org (must be printed on legal-size
paper), or contact petitions at carlforcongress.org for home delivery.

Please contact us with any questions or suggestions:
questions at carlforcongress.org

Also check out the campaign website, www.carlforcongress.org, and spread
the word - this campaign runs on people power!

peace y'all,
Jim