[Peace] RE: [PLEASE FORWARD TO YOUR GROUP] Anti-Chief Protest Thursday

Meridith Kruse bmmk at soltec.net
Wed Oct 16 22:30:05 CDT 2002

HOW DO YOUR BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEASURE UP? GIVE THEM THEIR FAILING GRADES!
Anti-"Chief" Rally and March
Thursday, September 19, Noon
UI Union South Patio

The UI Board of Trustees has the power to eliminate "Chief Illiniwek" at
any time. However, despite the fact that it is a divisive symbol that
creates a racially hostile campus, contributing to the barriers to real
racial equality and education at U of I, the BOT refuses to do so. As
the anti-"Chief" movement reaches a critical point, we continue to demand
that the BOT vote to remove the "Chief"!

Join us on September 19 for a rally grading the BOT on their performance
as representatives of OUR University. Speakers will include Sean Hunter,
President of the Student NAACP, Uma Pimplaskar from the Graduate Employees
Organization, Keri Kles, a UI graduate student, and others. Participants
will be able to give the BOT their own grades and then deliver them as the
rally marches to the BOT offices in Henry Administration Building.

How does the UI Board of Trustees measure up?

-Do they promote diversity and multiculturalism?
-Do they function in a democratic way?
-Do they spend UI money in a responsible way?
-Do they provide resources for minorities?
-Do they provide education on Native American culture and history?

HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS!

For more information call 352-8721 or e-mail prc at prairienet.org
Brooke Anderson, Co-Coordinator
Progressive Resource/Action Cooperative
c/o the Illinois Disciples Foundation